'33 Hawthorne RatRod

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Sunny Florida Starting October 1, 2016!!!
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Hi! I joined this site right after I purchased a repop Roadmaster Luxury Liner. I bought a stripped down Roadmaster with a Shockmaster Fork in the 7th grade from a friend for $2. That bike rode so well I've had an obsession with it ever since - that's why the repop. After owning more than 20 Cleveland Welding Bikes I started getting antsy for something different. I started admiring the Motobike Frames especially the earlier ones with the top bars real close together. As luck would have it a friend had two pre CWC Hawthorne frames for sale so here is the first one.

1933 Hawthorne 26" Ballooner

The blue is over the original red so I started working on removing the blue to see how the original red looked - not real good. I did the outside surfaces of the rear triangle to see how the overall patina would look. I'm not a super patina guy so the 50% Red and the 50% Raw metal just wasn't my style. I would have considered half red and half rust because they would blend together in my eyes. So I decided to strip it.

There are different ways of stripping paint off bike frames but I'm an old timer and I've been stripping paint off bikes since I was 12 (I'm 66). This may sound a little strange to some but I actually enjoy sitting for hours cleaning parts or in this case sanding paint off a frame with a palm sander. For me it's like meditation - the whole time I'm sanding my mind is relaxed. It's also kind of like painting a white wall black but in reverse. I love seeing an immediate difference in the surface as I go along.

I did the top bars first as close to the joints as possible with 60 grit sandpaper followed by the down tube. By then I was big time exhausted so I called it quits for the day. The next day I was contemplating how to do all the joints so I tried hand sanding for a few minutes with little progress so I broke out the stripper. I put a coat on the cracks and any exposed tubing I couldn't reach with the sander and let it sit a couple minutes. Then I brushed all the blue paint off with a tiny wire brush - got in the cracks really well. I put a second coat on over the red factory paint and let it sit longer and then brushed it off. What was left looked like a black stain on the bare metal so I went back to the hand sanding and it came right off.

Here's the cliff-hanger - A. What do you think the tubes looked like when I was done stripping them? B. What color do you think I should paint the newly stripped frame?

Spoiler Alert - B is a trick question!

I'll start my next entry with pics of what the frame looks like at this point - I haven't taken any yet - and then I'll proceed with the stripping. I'm extremely happy with how it looks at this point and I'll tell (and show with pics) why - this will be a first for me. Have Fun!

First Things First!

These three bars are all I've stripped so far. You can see the swirl marks from the 60 Grit Sandpaper left in the metal. I'll probably go to 100 Grit next and then probably some fine Crocus and I'll see how well she shines.

I didn't worry about doing around the head tube perfect because I'm going to have a little color and probably some darts in that area. I usually make this up as I go. I can sit and look at a project for an hour with all sorts of ideas going through my head. I'll just have to wait and see what my brain decides. To be continued. Robert

Gonna look nice, so bare metal with painted darts?

Yepper - I'm just going to pretend that glossy bare metal is a color. I also have a friend that "pulls lines" - I think that's what they call it. I'll try to get him to do a couple colors of pin stripes around any painted areas

Yepper - I'm just going to pretend that glossy bare metal is a color. I also have a friend that "pulls lines" - I think that's what they call it. I'll try to get him to do a couple colors of pin stripes around any painted areas
That is going to be awesome!

Luke.

Bare metal with painted darts is cool. Here's a little inspiration for you.
8166509194e04afb134c659b8ff77fa6.jpg

I think with the metal all shined up, and fresh painted darts your bike will stand out.

Sent from my LGL34C using Tapatalk

For quite a while I pondered on a color for the head tube and darts thinking it would have to stand out next to the bare metal. That's when I decided to use the pin stripes as a definite color change (two different colors) with the bare metal and whatever I decide on either side of the pinstripes. I already have a color for the darts in mind and it will also make the head badge pop - any guesses? To be continued. Robert

Gold is the correct answer - glad to see you guys are still on top of the Periodic Table. So I got a Polished Steel Main Frame with Gold Head Tube, Darts and Accents Punctuated by Two Black Pinstripes with a Red Pinstripe Between Them Matching the Red Head Badge. Since I'm moving far away from my Pin Stripe Guy I'll need to find another. I'm moving to Titusville which is just north of Melbourne - Chopaderos Country. I'm sure somebody can point me in the direction of a kick butt pin striper. I need to get my Spoiler running - I bought a raw frame and I'm having a heck of a time finding a spindle that will function in the odd length Bottom Bracket and still give me a functional chain line - Schwinn of course. Wish me Luck with that one.

Melbourne was the home of Choppers Inc. before Billy went to pen. I'm sure there's still custom motorcycle people in the area, just ask around a bit; you'll find someone to do the work.

Latest posts

Back