37 Admiral

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You gotta use some BMX forks. How about a new solid axle with some nuts/spacers to get past that notch? You may have to force/spread the fork a little bit.

cman said:
You gotta use some BMX forks. How about a new solid axle with some nuts/spacers to get past that notch? You may have to force/spread the fork a little bit.

Yeah, I thought about the solid axle but it looks like you would need at least 1/4 and more like 1/2 inch of spread, but those bmx forks don't want to budge

socal_jack said:
cman said:

Yeah, I thought about the solid axle but it looks like you would need at least 1/4 and more like 1/2 inch of spread, but those bmx forks don't want to budge

you probably already know this, but the sturmey archer drum brake front hubs work fine with a bmx fork & just a little bending of the brake arm......

Bendix said:
you probably already know this, but the sturmey archer drum brake front hubs work fine with a bmx fork & just a little bending of the brake arm......

Yep, was searching for one and found one, now I have to try my hand at re-lacing a wheel. Looks like the hub flanges on the shimano are pretty close within a mm or 2 maybe.

EDIT: And here it is, had some bad flange diameter info but they are almost exact to a Nexus 7, within a mm on spoke length. might actually yank the wheelset off my black bike and swap a nexus7 roller on back

IMG_0873.jpg

So were these the TA cranks that sold on Ebay a few days ago. I was right in the middle of being outbid on another set and didn't want to get caught buying two.......

Keep posting the pictures. This build is looking awesome.

Nope, sold them here to a rat rodder effectively traded for another set I got on ebay, haven't really made much progreess otherwise, waiting on some parts.

Glad the cranks stayed local. I saw another member was interested or I would have bugged you myself. Hope we haven't been bidding against each other on the bay. Still searching for the right TA crank and then a 42 tooth chainring to fit, but keep getting bid out of the contest. did you see that Cook Bros. fork sell today on the bay Item number: 140280969111.. Would have been perfect for a klunker build but for that type of money, I will stick to the original fork. They must be pretty rare items by now.
T

The crankset I picked up was a Sugino so no chance we were bidding against each other. That Cook Bros stuff goes for insane $ right now, makes me wish I had picked up a Laguna 26 inch BMX cruiser I saw on the local CL last week for $150 in near mint condition, seen those go for 600-700 on ebay.

Won't be finishing by the deadline, starting looking at the rear hub situation and after much thought ended up getting a "red band" Nexus 8 with roller brake that I'm waiting on. It's the only one from Shimano rated for offroad loads, plus you can use the Alfine trigger shifter. I'll be using the wheelset from my RBBO2 bike and rebuilding both with the Shimano and Sturmey hubs ( the rear was never spoked correctly anyway, could barely get an air pump on the valve). Basically waiting on a bunch of parts now, but more imporantly I wanted to do this one right so I'm going to take my time. Will post in the builds section eventually.

41DX, Here's the Suginos I was after, really like the look of these drilled jobs, wasn't gonna use the FMF adapter but makes the square taper conversion so easy. Next post in the build area

IMG_0902.jpg

IMG_0903.jpg

IMG_0905.jpg

Those look great. Is it a Sugino ring? What is the spacing?

I ended up going a different direction on cranks also. Decided since I was going with only one ring I would get a track crankset. An old Campy Pista. I bought them on the bay a little over a week ago and am waiting for the UPS driver to drop them off.

ad00_1-1.jpg

I also broke down and got an old BMX cruiser fork that I am waiting for. (Tange T1200 W, I think, without looking at my notes) so I guess now I need another prewar frame. I like the original fork on my DX with the truss rods and won't change that. So now my goal is to find a straight bar like yours. I need to stick to my guns and complete one bike with all pre 1980 components. I will finish off the other bike with some of the not so period correct parts I have gathered. All that said, I didn't make the cutoff for the build off Which was a goal I will update to January after the holidays.

This hobby is addicting. I enjoy searching for the right part. This build made me aware of the whole 26" BMX cruiser happening that was going on just before Mtn bikes took off. Those dudes were just as on top of it as the early Marin riders. Now I am searching the BMX forums looking at all the old cruisers from that era.

Look forward to seeing your bike complete, and I may borrow some of your ideas (like I wonder if that sugino ring will fit on my campy cranks)
T

They're both 110 BCD 40T(SR) on the Super Maxy and a 42T(Sugino) on the Maxy. I think the Super Maxys got used on some early BMX cruisers and MTBs, but I'm not gonna get real period correct on the parts. 110BCD gives lots of options in the BMX chainring parts too, looks like yours are up in the 135-144 BCD range so doubtful on the fit although I have a leftover 52T (SR I think), logo got drilled though.

I hear you on the BMX cruiser stuff, and finding parts and deals on this stuff gets harder every day. I could kick myself a couple of weeks ago a fairly minty red Laguna 26" cruiser popped up on the San Diego CL for $150. Didn't even email the guy.

Good luck on your search and completing the build look forward to seeing it also!

Finally got ahold of the elusive red-band 8 Nexus (only internal from Shimano rated for anything close to offroad), just one more piece to go.

IMG_0926.jpg

Latest posts

Back