37 Schwinn Admiral - Klunker New YST Bottom Bracket

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: 37 Schwinn Admiral - Klunker practice skid vid pg 4

I love the action video and photos that you klunker guys are doing.
Bike is looking great.

That's a real sharp klunker! 8)

SCHWINNRAY69 said:
That's a real sharp klunker! 8)

kingfish254 said:
I love the action video and photos that you klunker guys are doing.
Bike is looking great.

Thanks! The handling is challenging in tight stuff, the head angle measured ~63-64 degrees, slack even by downhill MTB standards I think(though some of the new bikes are in the range) . It needs more offset, could really use a nice old truss fork. I have a nice one in blue, but would need to re-paint, graphics & patina match etc no time now, but...

Figured out a new location this morning going to go out late afternoon and try again, even though this has been called a skid it's more of a trail brake maneuver like this portion of vid from Klunkerz(my $ copy signed by Billy)

Skid turn take 2, the setup is better but the rut had my attention, may take a folding shovel out there and groom it a bit, removed a bunch of rocks. Need to hit it fast faster, but if you hit the rut you're in the bushes.

Ordered a QR for the seatpost, hopefully it'll work with the built in one.

Re: 37 Schwinn Admiral - Klunker practice skid vid take 2 pg 5

Adjusting the seat out on the trail was pain, found this Giant brand seatpost clamp on the bay for $8 delivered, pretty satisfied with the fit and works great, no more carrying a wrench. Also looking at some lighting options. More video work tomorrow, maybe a couple of jumps after the skid turn work.

IMG_2416_zps4914f05f.jpg

Took a brillo pad to it to knockdown the logo
IMG_2418_zps7fb87a80.jpg

IMG_2422_zps09aca664.jpg

Would like to use the first bracket but it forces raising the bars which are already almost too high for my taste but I might be able to flatten the side near where the stem would go. The second bracket would require cutting then spreading. that far may cause the chrome to buckle. Still need to figure out a mounting method for the battery case but may do similar to my Elgin using pipe hangers.

IMG_2425_zps893825a2.jpg

IMG_2426_zps83a32cf0.jpg

Re: 37 Schwinn Admiral - Klunker Last bits coming together

Still practicing, important safety tip, make sure those bars are really tight and cinch up that QR a bit better

lunchtimeklunking_zps55237b5b.png

That's a cool airborne action shot!

Great build btw :wink:

Great shot! Great bike.

junknutz1975 said:
That's a cool airborne action shot!

Great build btw :wink:

ifitsfreeitsforme said:
Great shot! Great bike.

Thanks, I've been having a blast on this thing this past week!

The first jump I caught a lot more air(camera off of course) but when I came down the handlebars rolled forward, didn't have a wrench with me to tighten up so I yanked them back and had to take it easier on the next few. The front wheel also moved a bit due to QR not tightened down enough, fork is smooth in the dropouts not really meant for QR.

Got some things to fix that came out from riding. The gearing is way too high for trail riding around here at 40x22, the wider BB also moved the chainline out too far compared to the rear about 3/16-1/4", can really hear and feel it in the chain under torque. Will be putting on a 36T chainring and switching the rear to a 21T Nexus 7 cog I have that has about the right amount of offset before final shots and videos. I need to pedal up some steep stuff for a final vid and I'd need to push too much with the present gearing.

Great bike and great actions shot....now do you have the costume figured out? :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

cman said:
Great bike and great actions shot....now do you have the costume figured out? :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Ha! The costume is gonna be the tough part, especially those period running shoes.

alan_repack1.jpg

Nexus 7 donor cog, had to pull off one link and chainline still about 3mm off but that's acceptable.

IMG_2436_zps8485931e.jpg

Did some work on the light cut and bent the bracket, won't really work like that as holes don't line up so might incorporate part of original headband. Still not sure this will make it to the final.

IMG_2438_zpsa0f7b818.jpg

Probably bend back these tabs and mate up, use original headband piece as an extender

IMG_2439_zpsacd26407.jpg

Bike with new cog in rear, looks better anyway the old one was black, gonna be even harder to pedal until the new chainring comes in. Too bad this stuff is 5 arm 110 bcd, I've got a bunch of chainrings in 4 arm.

IMG_2441_zps222c936b.jpg

Re: 37 Schwinn Admiral - Klunker Light work and a new cog

I missed the past few days of your updates. Looks like you are having a blast. Looking sweet!

Re: 37 Schwinn Admiral - Klunker Light work and a new cog

kingfish254 said:
I missed the past few days of your updates. Looks like you are having a blast. Looking sweet!

I'll take it out tomorrow for some more fun and vids but throw on the 36T chain ring before I do that one is very plain. Cleaned her up for some money shots today, calling it done and do a finished post tomorrow. The light wouldn't be something on a Klunker, I'll keep working on that for cruiser mode riding offline.

IMG_2447_zps3700e16d.jpg

Re: 37 Schwinn Admiral - Klunker Calling it done

Link to finished thread

http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=78&t=75602&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Meant to put a parts list in finished thread but didn't get home in time

Items from parts pile
Frame - Likely 1937 Schwinn due to clean/uniform serial number
Bars - Skull skates
Rims - Sun Rhyno Lite
Front hub - Shimano XT
Saddle - Brooks
Chain - KMC
Tires - Specialized Roller
Tubes -?
Seatpost - Schwinn ?
FMF BB adapter
Crankset - Sugino Super Maxy
Grips - ODI lock on
Rear cog - 21t from Nexus 7
Spoke Nipples
Pedals - VP bear claw clones

Items purchased for RBBO8 build
Porkchop chainring and sealed bearing headset
Rear Hub KT alloy HD
Front/rear spokes - Wheelsmith
Seatpost QR - Giant
SE Landing Gear fork
Shimano UN55 bottom bracket(still not correct, need a track bottom bracket, cranks way offset to one side)

socal_jack said:
Still practicing, important safety tip, make sure those bars are really tight and cinch up that QR a bit better

lunchtimeklunking_zps55237b5b.png

Great Shot!

Re: 37 Schwinn Admiral - Klunker Link to finished thread

41DX said:
Great Shot!

Thanks!

The bottom bracket adapter from FMF didn't really work that well with this frame, the cranks ended up offset to a degree that I could feel while riding, though some of this is due to the bottom bracket itself not being lined up well. Not sure if they even used frame jigs back then, as I've seen similar on other prewar bikes.

Drive side
IMG_2470_zpsad668bec.jpg

other side
IMG_2471_zps21c4f7bb.jpg

Found this YST brand sealed bearing conversion, the collars allow you to adjust the alignment nicely

IMG_2472_zpsc964df97.jpg

Much better

Latest posts

Back