38 Hawthorne Twin Bar 5 Bar Monark FORKIN AROUND

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think it needs something more for the forks, maybe curved custom double truss rods for the springer. Something different and following the frame characteristics.

Yeah King! That looks great, the Monark forks look good on there, these would be my other choice out of those you showed there:
kingfish254 said:
WP_20131126_16_39_50_Pro_zps2d93b47c.jpg

Luke.

Wildcat said:
I think it needs something more for the forks, maybe curved custom double truss rods for the springer. Something different and following the frame characteristics.

Interesting idea. Never thought of curved trusses for Monark straight springers.

deorman said:
Need fenders for the hang-spungs. :| Maybe a rack or something to balance out the Monark. :?

I'm not sure if I feel the hang sprungs for this frame, but I actually like these both with and without fenders on other builds.

I could potentially use this rack.

IMG_1867.jpg

LukeTheJoker said:
Yeah King! That looks great, the Monark forks look good on there, these would be my other choice out of those you showed there:
Luke.

I like that one as well Luke.

Rockit! said:
The Monark fork is where it's at!

It's still the one that appeals to me the most.

At some point I may even see what this Girvin looks like on it.

WP_001092_zpsc9734d99.jpg

The Monark is best of the bunch. I think all of the blade forks seem to disappear on that frame, but being able to rake the front with the Higgins style would be cool too. Totally tubular though !
Or.... a Girder style fork would be amazing on that frame IMO and ties right into the chain guard as well. That set up kind of reminds me of old steel bridges of the time.
You could call it the 'Talmadge Terror' in reference to your local Savanah bridge.

Played around with some parts at lunch today.

WP_20131203_16_27_43_Pro.jpg
WP_20131203_16_27_56_Pro.jpg
WP_20131203_16_28_17_Pro.jpg

I almost PM'd on that frame when it was very first posted, but did a mental count of all my unfinished projects and decided I didn't need anymore. Then along came the Flocycle....:)

I love this frame, but I think you made the right choice. that flocycle frame is wicked!

kingfish...awesome score brother. I've been thinking about ideas for a paint scheme that would highlight the tubes of your fabulous Monark. In the '60's candy paint was all the rage.As a kid I worked (shop boy) for a custom painter. He used to use various hues of paint,that would usually be applied after primer,to get an almost 3-D effect in shadowing lace jobs,panels & striping then candy (almost transparent) would be applied over that giving it that shadow effect which made it "pop out".So,what if you,after primer,sprayed the inner part of the frame tubes a light color like white or silver then fade it out to a medium grey.Then shoot your final color over that using light coats til you get the desired effect your looking for.I know its some work but a bike of this caliber is worth it...just some food for thoughtToo bad you didn't get its original "pie crust" sprocket with her...P :cool2:

King

That's an awesome frame. Looks really close to the one I found and restored. They are amazing bikes. Great score. Did you happen to see that thread I posted on mine?

kingfish...awesome score brother. I've been thinking about ideas for a paint scheme that would highlight the tubes of your fabulous Monark. In the '60's candy paint was all the rage.As a kid I worked (shop boy) for a custom painter. He used to use various hues of paint,that would usually be applied after primer,to get an almost 3-D effect in shadowing lace jobs,panels & striping then candy (almost transparent) would be applied over that giving it that shadow effect which made it "pop out".So,what if you,after primer,sprayed the inner part of the frame tubes a light color like white or silver then fade it out to a medium grey.Then shoot your final color over that using light coats til you get the desired effect your looking for.I know its some work but a bike of this caliber is worth it...just some food for thoughtToo bad you didn't get its original "pie crust" sprocket with her...P :cool2:

Thanks Pappy, I kinda follow what you are talking about with the paint. Part of it follows with my thoughts. We'll see how it ends up.
I actually don't care for the look of the pie crust.

I like it with the Monark forks the best too. That is going to be a cool bike.

Thanks man. I've got some thinking to do on making the ladies fork work. I think I can make it work with some spacers and such rather than cutting and welding.

On these ladies Monark forks - Has anyone ever tried putting spacers below the bottom bearing race? I know it will jack up the front just a bit, but that might actually be a cool thing.

WP_20131204_10_37_38_Pro_zpsb3db1b0b.jpg

WP_20131204_10_37_57_Pro_zpsc8278c20.jpg

Latest posts

Back