4/22/12 Midwest Bicycle swapmeet

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Trailers loaded with mine and 65rats parts. We still need to load up my Honda bike and our ez-up but lets ride!
20120421_182706.jpg

20120421_182658.jpg

Sweet!

Garage ride was a hit!! I counted 38 total riders. We rode Haysville's bike paths and streets, looked like a parade at times!

We made stops at Tim's, Randy's and my garage... where food and drink were consumed, had a great time!!

Thanks everyone that found the time to ride with us.

I think Im loaded and ready.... Tomorrow is gonna be BIG :shock:

Pre-Swap Garage Ride. What a great time! We had around 40 riders show up! We rode around 7 miles stopping off at 3 different Ratorodbikers garages. Beverages, great food and snacks and of course cool bikes. Thanks everyone who participated and thanks to Mitch and Tim for opening your garages to us. See ya all tomorrow.

Meet up place.
P1000548.JPG

Garage 1
P1000588.JPG

Garage 2. Can you guess whose garage this is?
P1000608.JPG

Garage 2
P1000610.JPG

Garage 3
P1000622.JPG

Riding
P1000603.JPG

Riding
P1000572.JPG

WOW! What a great time. The Coasters BC is the BEST, and riding with our friends from out of town, made it even better.
I counted 41 people on the ride, and 1 dog (LittleBlueTrike had her customized dog, a dog with a wild hair cut and wearing shoes, towing her along).
Everybody was having a great time, there were some really cool bikes out there, and the people on the street that seen us seem to enjoy the parade of bikes.
It was a beautiful evenings ride, with a lot of friends some new and some old. Its always fun to ride with you.
Thanks to Ratfink1962, aka_Locojoe, and 65rat for opening the doors to their garages for us to peek in, we got to see some cool stuff. And a big Thanks to their wives for fixing us up with snacks.
See you at the swapmeet.

I just got back home from swapmeet,scored a new S/A 3 spd wheel $60, A Schwinn diamond frame with fenders,forks,cranks for $5..And a nice 27" front wheel with tire aired up
out of freebie pile...Oh and a set of non dented black fenders for $10... :D

Here are some of my finds at the swap....
A new kickstand for my Schwinn Jaguar project.
newkickstand.jpg

A 70's moto stem.
motostem2.jpg

motostem1.jpg

motostem.jpg

An AMF Girder fork! Not sure if it will go on this bike, just put it on to see how it looks.
amffork1.jpg

amffork2.jpg

amffork.jpg

And some 26 x 2.125" Gold UKAI rims dated 1983 + a mountain bike! :D
goldwheels3.jpg

goldwheels4.jpg

goldwheels.jpg

goldwheels4.jpg

goldwheels2.jpg

The swap was great, I'll definitely have to show up next year!

Brought home a lady from the swap meet! My buddy Marty @ 10~18 Kustoms brought it down from KC for me. It's for my wife, but I wouldn't hesitate to ride it myself. She hasn't seen it yet. Had several opportunities to sell it, but resisted the temptation. Picked up a headlight from dangratsdan for it as well. I have a white seat & white grips that will go on it also. Got some other goodies also for various projects. Had a great time as usual & enjoyed meeting up with a lot of great people that are members here & some that are not (yet!). For once I came home with less than I brought to the meet! That should make the wifey happy! :mrgreen: Tons of great bikes & parts at great prices. Thanks to Mitch & everyone else for putting on such a great event. Brats were killer also! :lol: 8) Anyway here she is:

anniesbike003.jpg

What a good time today! The weather was beautiful and the bikes were plentiful. I didn't think I did as well as I really did and emptied the cash from all my pockets.

dangsratdan tooked me up with this killer headlight.
IMAG1039.jpg

Diabolical Dork sold me this frame set so my daughter can build it up
IMAG1036.jpg

I have always wanted a nice Spaceliner type bike and aka_locojoe had this Wester Flyer Stratoflyer priced to move so I had to jump on it. I rode it over and loaded it straight into the Uhaul. It didn't take long for a lookie-loo to spot it and ask if it was for sale. I threw a crazy high price on it to discourage his intrest. It didn't work and he shelled out insane money for it and I am still without my space bike. I didn't even have her long enough to take my own picture so I stole this one from Randy. :cry:
P0005736.jpg

I spotted this '66 Traveler on craigslist last week and the ad stated he was bringing it to the swap. I knew when I saw it would be coming home with me no matter how much I resisted it. I don't typically like lightweights, but these clean coppertone Schwinns just kinda speak to me. I watched it all day, just sitting there. Tire kickers looking it over and passing by. Finally toward the end of the day I wandered over and after a brief bit of haggling it was mine.
IMAG1035.jpg

I did a bit of horse trading and ended up with this motor kit. Since I am only 6 miles from work I figured this may be good for a commuter.
IMAG1038.jpg

I also had Harry the Pin striper work his magic on my '61 Schwinn Hornet rat.
IMAG1037.jpg

Wow... now that was a good swapmeet!

I think we got real close to finding out the capacity.... 45 total sellers, and Im pretty sure we could have squeezed a few more in.

I also want to thank everyone that attended the swap... You guys are what makes the swap, I just help provide the venue for it to take place.

I think the FREE pile was a hit! everyone seemed to have a lot of fun with it. And by the end of the day... it was pretty bare which really amazed me!

Raffle bike was also a hit, and it was won by my son, who bought $5 worth of tickets. My son also did all the grilling this year, and it worked out very well.

The Brats were a test... and I believe they were very popular... my son sold out of them as soon as he finished grilling them up!

Saw LOTS of cool bikes, at very reasonable prices, I actually sold a couple.... but ended up buying one. :D

Such a great time! Big thanks to Mitch and his family.

My goal was to empty out our storage unit which I did and I did it fast. I priced bikes to sell and I think all my bikes were gone well before noon. Gave me time to shop, socialize and eat brats which I'd much rather do then sell.

Our storage unit is just about a block away from the swap so the wife and I would walk over and ride bikes back
P1000628.JPG

65rat was really good to me and gave me a deal on this 24" Western Flyer for my Grand-son
IMG_0102.JPG

Got good deals on a couple sets of tires. Thanks Marty.

I must also thank threewire for his generosity in giving me a speedo for the above bike.
Everything here was given to me, dirt cheap or from the free pile.
IMG_0104.JPG

My main goal was to get rid of what i brought 8) and I quickly learned how to lower the prices and move the stuff.. gave some stuff to friends and kept putting stuff in the free pile..got rid of the bikes early so i could shop 8) bought my next project not exactly sure what it is but Thad told me he thought it was an early 50s Monark. I also got a 2 speed kickback hub I had been wanting 8) then my cousin showed up with his two boys and bought these 2 muscle bikes
383426_436312606384532_100000173893544_1821221_1913954165_n.jpg
after my oldest son Jesse rode them he wanted one so he found an old Huffy
540662_3353591842184_255171747_n.jpg

One of the best swaps I've ever attended. Got some great deals,gave some great deals, but most importantly it was very kool to put faces with names and meet folks in person that I've only "talked" to here.GREAT bunch,those COASTERS, and everyone else in Haysville. They are very hospitable,friendly and accommodating folks who went way out of their way to make us "out of towners" welcome. I thank you all.
Tim...find me a tank and we'll talk again about those Ramshorns :shock: ...P 8)

Had a great time didnt really sell much but did give a lot away. Managed to bring a few projects and parts home.
Monark from 65rat fenders from another vendor
20120422_190015.jpg

Cat in the hat from Aka_locojoe
20120422_185323.jpg

Siren from pappy, miller light set from ndaway, red seat and sissy bar from 65rat, and everything else is from 1018kustoms
20120422_190336.jpg

Finally I got Harry to do his magic on my '35 and wow it really pops with the red!
20120422_190711.jpg

My son and I had an awesome time at the swap today! Thank you to everyone who bought something from me and helped make room in the shed. Also Thank you to people who sold/traded me things to fill up that empty space, even though the doghouse is a little more cramped tonight. Oh well, maybe before next swap I will be able to come play with you guys again.

Ndway don't know if you know those were my muscle bikes that I sold earlier in the day. I wish I'd known those boys were interested in them. We could have cut out the middle man and saved someone some $$$

All my photos here

Just a few...

IMG_0039.JPG

Dangratsdan

P1000646.JPG

Mazdaflyer

P1000682.JPG

1018kustoms, Jon and Pappy

P1000677.JPG

ndway's spot

Early in the day I was selling and your bikes went fast...and the boys came up later I don't think they knew what they wanted till they saw them and they still got a pretty good price 8) ..one of my bikes I came way down on because I thought the guy wanted for himself and then he took it over to his spot and sold for more money...guess that's just the way it goes sometimes
aka_locojoe said:
Ndway don't know if you know those were my muscle bikes that I sold earlier in the day. I wish I'd known those boys were interested in them. We could have cut out the middle man and saved someone some $$$

Man, whata great time.
I sold some stuff, and gave a lot to the free pile through out the day and most of the stuff was scarfed up with in minutes, it was fun to watch how the free pile would grow and then shrink ( I was setup next to it), I cant believe some of the stuff let go for free, of course I contributed to that with a lugged frame light weight bike that was without a badge, come to find out it was most likely an INDIAN, oh well its gone. And my his and hers Spaceliners did sell for $35. It was bargain time for a lot of people.
I had NO intent on buying, but with in 5 minutes of arriving I was wheeling an old Monarch, with springer and a star sprocket back to the van, it was a bargain.

Wish my weekends were always this much fun..with the Garage ride and the swapmeet.The Coasters BC and friends are the BEST.
Oh yea...the brat experiment I think was a success...mmm..mmm...good.

Latest posts

Back