BO15 4-4-2

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was able to visit all the bike shops out here in the little towns. I also looked for a fabrication shop who could make up my fork extensions. I had no luck with anything, the girl at bike shop with the most parts kept telling me they had no stock but the shelves were full! Must be the language barrier. Their 26" rims were only an inch wide and I'm fairly sure my 3" tires need at least 1.75 in width. They also said they had no chrome handlebars as my wife pointed out a set right above our head. So I picked up a big pair of handlebars. That was it fot today. My nephew waited in line all afternoon to get us a pass to travel to the big city tomorrow. Bike scavenging wasn't the reason, I'm new and setting up my healthcare needs, so it's a medical appointment. We'll head out and hit all the places then go to my appointment. There are few used bike places anywhere around here which doesn't make sense, there's a big market for bikes. So I'm hoping for wheels tomorrow and a frame.

DSCI0079.JPG

I did a check to see how big the dropouts need to be to accomodate the gears. The calculations I did awhile back came up with a 3" difference between the longest and shortest length of chain
which equates to 1 1/2" at the dropout. To rehash, my idea is to change gears manually along with having the 2 speed kickback on the SA hub. I will loosen the wheel and place the chain on the desired chainwheel and cog to set my 2 speed kickback ratios. With 2 chain wheels and 2 cogs, that will give me 8 speeds, but only two usable while riding. So I laid out the cogs and chain wheels on the kitchen table (I had to hurry before I got caught) and measured the difference between the longest and shortest configuration. The calculations were right on, the droputs will need to have 1 1/2" of adjustability. That will be dropout slots 2 1/2" long as there will need to be adjustment for the chain and alignment. I'll draw up templates for the dropout extensions when I have a frame.
Longest:
longest.JPG

Shortest:
shortest.JPG

What a long day. After hitting all the big bike shops in the city, I wound up at the biggest scrap heap in town and found a couple of frames, neither will meet the standards of this build. it needs to use one piece cranks and be a good solid frame. I also found some new 26" wheels, but the rims aren't wide enough.
I did get something accomplished, a steel fabrication shop made my fork extensions, in just 3 hours! For 16 bucks! They are exactly as ordered, 3mm thick with 3/8ths holes and slot.

DSCI0081 - Copy.JPG

Last edited:
With no cruiser frame I wanted, or rims wide enough, this bike won't make the deadline. But I will finish it as planned. Getting here to my new home during the Covid crisis was enough accomplishment to last for awhile. At least I have some parts and avenues found to get stuff. I also learned how to lace up wheels so I'm happy.
The big frame I picked up last week might be a contender for 4-4-2, although it already has another name, Chrome Molly. Just for fun I tried out the fork extensions with my 3" tires on an extra set of skinny wheels. There's no inner tubes, just the tires on the wheels. The rims are less than an inch wide so they aren't for these tires. This was just for a look at how it sat and how much space the extensions gave. I could have the dropout extensions made up and use this frame if a good cruiser style frame never materializes.
ww1.JPG

Latest posts

Back