• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to RatRodBikes and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

4 speed nexus shifter

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks 5speed. I understand the Nexus 4 is a nexus 7 without the 3 overdrive gears. I guess it was cheaper to build and someone said it was originally used on 20" wheel folding bikes.

Thanks 5speed. I understand the Nexus 4 is a nexus 7 without the 3 overdrive gears. I guess it was cheaper to build and someone said it was originally used on 20" wheel folding bikes.
The one I have is more like it without the underdrive (lower)gears as it is more like it uses 4567 gears of the seven speed. You will need a smaller front chainring unless your only travelling downhill Lol!

The one I have is more like it without the underdrive (lower)gears as it is more like it uses 4567 gears of the seven speed. You will need a smaller front chainring unless your only travelling downhill Lol!

Yes you are correct I misspoke. :whistle:
It is the underdrive gears that are missing.
so first gear is direct drive and then 3 overdrive gears.
For example my Schwinn cruiser 4:
1st gear (direct) 49tooth/22tooth= 2.23 wheel revs per crank rev x 26"= 58 gear inches
2nd gear (1.244 overdrive) 58 gear inches x 1.244 = 72 gear inches
3rd gear (1.500 overdrive) 58 gear inches x 1.500 = 87 gear inches
4th gear (1.843 overdrive) 58 gear inches x 1.843 = 107 gear inches

Yes, underdrive are missing.Your schwinn must be a flatlander with that chainring,the Trek I took my wheelset off of had a 36 tooth and I run it with a 30/19 tooth combo now.

Yes, underdrive are missing.Your schwinn must be a flatlander with that chainring,the Trek I took my wheelset off of had a 36 tooth and I run it with a 30/19 tooth combo now.
Actually it's been a process. Bike came with a 46t I swapped a 36t and then a 32t then just 'cause a parted Ross ring looked too cool I threw that on a 49t and we do have hills... Maybe building leg muscles? :grin:

Latest posts

Back