40cc 4stroke Weed Wacker Bike

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have built two motorized bicycles now.Both of them have 49cc 2 stroke engines made in china. I decided i want a 4 stroke. I asked the man at Toys4Boys Motor-sports about his 4 stroke bicycle kit. He said "don't do it. It is gutless and a pain to install. Not recommended." This left me with only one option. I must build one from scratch. I went out and bought a brand new Briggs a Stratton weed whacker engine. I also bought a 1981 Raleigh Challenger. Now it shouldn't be too hard to put them together right? This is what i have to work with. The roller is something I machined in my garage. It is one solid piece. I milled one side square to match the weed eater drive shaft. I pressed a bearing on the other side. Tomorrow i plan on mounting this all in a housing and somehow attaching that to the seat stays. Let me know what you think, any ideas?
IMAG0272.jpg

IMAG0276.jpg

IMAG0274.jpg

IMAG0275.jpg

Re: 40cc 4stroke Weed Wacker Bike Finished

I finished my motorized bicycle today. I decided to go with the simplest design possible to ensure reliability. I included photos of all the major components. I test rode the bicycle today and it works great. The american made 4 stroke engine is quiet and there is virtually no vibration.
IMAG0289.jpg

IMAG0288.jpg

IMAG0283.jpg

IMAG0286.jpg

IMAG0287.jpg

IMAG0285.jpg

Very cool machine work!! Turned out great!How fast does it go? 8) :mrgreen:

FatBoy said:
Very cool machine work!! Turned out great!How fast does it go? 8) :mrgreen:
A realistic cursing speed is between 20mph and 25mph. It would max out around 30 mph but i haven't tried yet. I am still breaking the motor in. I managed to put about 30 Miles on it today.

It was raining a bit when I left for work but I decided to take this bike anyway. It apears this was a laps in judgement. The bike still rode ok although performance was notably affected. After my 10mile comute it it appears the slippage between the roller and the tire has actually damaged the roller. It wore 50%of the knurl depth off and you can feel about .007" dip in the outer diameter. I would have never guessed that would happen.. now we all know don't let that roller spin on the tire.

Latest posts

Back