41 DX

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well before any rules are set, I admit, I started my project several weeks ago before this contest started. That said, I am new to bike restore and need all the extra time I can get. This will force me to figure out how to post pictures here and be a less of a lurker and more of a contributor to the forum (although all I know, I have learned here and a few other bike forums).
First step, actually read how to post a photo......

Fresh off the bay.

bike518c3.jpg

that'll be a nice klunker. great job on the pic. there are no rules in this build, so your safe.lol. take your time an do it right.

Outlaw 8)

Always a skateboarder as a kid, I didn't get into bikes until the 80's when my friend turned me onto Mtn biking. My first bike was a 83 Diamond Back Mean Streak which I thought was top shelf for the time, but I really wanted to build up a Klunker like I saw the early NCAL bikers riding in the pictures. 25 years and several Supermondo Deluxe Mtn bikes later , I still desired to build up an original pre 80's style Klunker. Well, this is my attempt at fulfilling this dream. Started researching on the internet last spring and found great info here at RRB (thank you), the CABE, Schwinn forums, MTBR VRC, and of course Alan Bonds website. Found the DX on the bay and took it apart the first day I got it, stashing the parts strategically around the garage before my sig other got home to find another bike had entered the home. Spent free time in July trying to remove the 4 coats of paint covering the original Schwinn maroon/white to no avail. In the end there was too much pantina and not enough original paint for my liking. Read every post here I could find about the joys of spraypaint while a friend beadblasted the frame for me. Started painting the end of August about coat a week. Applied 2 cans of primer, 1 white, 2 black, and 1 clear. I finally finished just before the weather turned cool and wet. In the mean time I have been searching for parts to complete the build. As much as I want to keep it era correct, the pocketbook dictates some thing will have to wait until the right price comes up as I substitute other not so era correct parts I have in the parts bin. A work in progress, My ultimate goal is to complete this bike with all pre 1980 components some day.

Here is a photo of the bike after the final black was applied but before the clear coat. I will take a picture soon of the final paint. Before this my biggest spray paint project was helping my kids with their pinewood derby cars:

Schwinn0001.jpg

Rainy day forces inside photo today. Here is the final frame and fork paint with clear coat and wax added. I learned a lot from this forum about painting and then through the process of doing. Yes, I already know some of what I would do different next time:

Schwinn0001-1.jpg

Nice job!

I love DX-s, next bike in my sights is a '39 DX with the straight down tube and dropstand ears. That's a killer seat you got there too, and the infamous pre-war truss rods! Very nice bike.

Looking good. Did you use the stencils from e-bay? If so did they work well?

"I love DX-s, next bike in my sights is a '39 DX with the straight down tube and dropstand ears. That's a killer seat you got there too, and the infamous pre-war truss rods! Very nice bike."

The more I look the more I like them all. When I was searching, my main requesit was "pre war Schwinn" to stay with my original perspective of what a Klunker was. I have a hunch this one will end up with my girlfriend eventually and then I will get to start over again. My next one will be a straight bar.

I hid all the original parts including the saddle skiptooth, BB, front fender, wheels etc up in the attic just in case it ever needs to go back on the bike again. That Messinger saddle is huge and has some style. Going with a sprung Brooks for now mated to a NOS bmx "SE Racing" post from the late 70's. I may try to find a solid aluminum rod for a post though because although the "SE" looks great, I plan to ride this bike a bit and have my concerns about it's strength for someone my size.

"Did you use the stencils from e-bay? If so did they work well?"

Yes I did. And I thought they worked great. Not sure if the seller frequents this site or not but he was an easy seller to do business with.

On the frame, The black is over the white, and on the fork, the white is over the black.

The more I look the more I like them all. When I was searching, my main requesit was "pre war Schwinn" to stay with my original perspective of what a Klunker was. I have a hunch this one will end up with my girlfriend eventually and then I will get to start over again. My next one will be a straight bar.

I second that! The curved downtube has an appeal all it's own, I love my '46 DX which is basically the same with post-war dropouts. I think it will come down to which I find first, a B-10E or a '39 DX, one of those constant "back burner" thoughts.

That seat is a keeper for sure, it would be worth putting on another one if nothing else, very cool.

Latest posts

Back