41 DX

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
JoKeR63 said:
Bendix said:
41dx won't have any latitude as to where his rear cog goes with the sturmey archer hub, so he'll have to adjust his chainline with spindle length.

Actually the rear cog can be moved around a lot. With an offset cog, it can be flipped for two positions. A straight cog goes in between an offset for three positions. SA hubs usually have two spacers for the cog that can be restacked for different positions. There's maybe 6mm of change available there.

hey, that's right! those few millimeters each way could be the critical difference :D

Thanks for the input everybody. I appreciate all the information and suggestions I can get.
Getting a bit restless trying to find the parts I want and time is running short. Dug into the spare parts bin and found this old Salsa stem that suprisingly fit in the fork. Bars are called "On One Mary", got a pretty unique bend to them. I think the stem is a bit long but I wanted to see how it looked.

Thoughts?

Salsastemononemary0001.jpg

Oh yea, had to replace the fridge in the house this weekend also, so now the old big white box is sitting in the middle of my valuable and constantly diminishing garage space.

A man needs a garage.....

The On*One Mary bars are a nice addition to such an awesome bike. The stem looks a little lengthy, but if you get on the bike and feel as though you fit properly on it, leave it.

I've got a set of Marys on my singlespeed 29er MTB and love 'em...I've also got a pair of "Mary clone" Origin 8 Space Bars with a bead blasted silver finish on my '67 Typhoon klunker.

"Hello mom, sorry, I won't be making it to Thanksgiving day dinner this year, well it's almost December, and you see there is this build off and......."

Aaak, Waiting for help from my master wheel builder.....

Took off the Salsa stem. Too long. Finally found the right Ashtabula.

41DX said:
"Hello mom, sorry, I won't be making it to Thanksgiving day dinner this year, well it's almost December, and you see there is this build off and......."

Aaak, Waiting for help from my master wheel builder.....
Amen to that one ,I just wont have time to change the crank, be lucky if I find the time to put it together :roll:

41DX said:
Took off the Salsa stem. Too long. Finally found the right Ashtabula.

that will look good! are there 22.2 ashtabulas out there also, or just the smaller .833 size?

I believe it takes a 22.2 handlebar . Don't make me nervous.
The Ashtabula did fit right on the fork end. That Salsa barely fit. I am sure is the Salsa is a small 1 inch diameter ( old MTN bike) on the fork side. I had two other 20 yo 1" stems that didn't fit in the fork, an old Tioga and another 20 year old no name generic.
My plan is to start out with a Skull Skate bar if possible (if I will be able to get the crossbar through the single bolt stem without trashing the bar or stem).

41DX said:
I believe it takes a 22.2 handlebar . Don't make me nervous.
The Ashtabula did fit right on the fork end. That Salsa barely fit. I am sure is the Salsa is a small 1 inch diameter ( old MTN bike) on the fork side. I had two other 20 yo 1" stems that didn't fit in the fork, an old Tioga and another 20 year old no name generic.
My plan is to start out with a Skull Skate bar if possible (if I will be able to get the crossbar through the single bolt stem without trashing the bar or stem).

since i'm not a bmx guy, i was just wondering if maybe some bikes in the early bmx days used a 22.2 quill ashtabula, that would be a handy stem for other projects. i think i'll be shimming my stem a little- it's a japanese 22.0 (?!), which apparently was used on austrian and german imports in the 70's......

As much as I want to be done on time, unfortunately my wheels handlebar and bottom bracket are at my buddies bike shop 200 miles away. I am excited to have this done but it looks like it will have to wait until after Christmas. I will keep you posted. Really enjoy the build off and the group here at RR. You all put together some great bikes.

41DX said:
As much as I want to be done on time, unfortunately my wheels handlebar and bottom bracket are at my buddies bike shop 200 miles away. I am excited to have this done but it looks like it will have to wait until after Christmas. I will keep you posted. Really enjoy the build off and the group here at RR. You all put together some great bikes.

you'll probably still finish before i see my fork.........i'll keep an eye out for the finished product!

41DX said:

black and white, fight fight!!!!

Re: 41 DX unfinished business

Is one ever really finished with a build or do things constantly change ......

Here ya go, some long awaited photo's.
Enjoy:

4120DX20profile0001.jpg

4120DX20shift0001.jpg

4120DX2020Cranks0001.jpg

4120DX20a0001.jpg

4120DX20shadow200001.jpg

Sorry to keep you all waiting,
T

Well looks like it was worth waiting for. That turned out fantastic.

I wanted to do era correct cranks (those are 1980 vintage) and something different. Since I was only doing one ring in the front, I didn't have to go with the obligatory TA's. I had never seen Campy's on a klunker before, but figured they had to be one of the best choices available back in the day. Really happy with the way the Pista's look on there and the chainline looks great.

Thanks for all the great comments,
T

Well, I was motivated to organize my photobucket account and in the process now my post is no longer showing the pictures...
Sorry

Latest posts

Back