'47 cwc western flyer "Derelict" hood ride.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: the beginning of a modernized rat rod '47 cwc western flyer

kentercanyon said:
Nice frame, interesting build-up. Just my own opinion, but I think however you have to make a choice about using that fork as-is or painting the whole frame/fork combo. This mis-match thing is difficult to pull off. IMO it looks like you had a wreck and went to the junkyard to get a new door on your car... Just sayin' it looks unfinished. (The new sidewall of the front rim looks good, why not just paint the whole bike black? )

I'm struggling with my own "patina" issues on the '41 ladies WF, but I have a matching frame and fork. I feel like if you start to (re)paint, you have to keep going, so yes it's a difficult equilibrium to strike. New components on old frames are fine but there needs to be a balance of matched and mismatched, I feel.

Thank you for your opinion. The plan was to build something outside the box. Patina frame with super strong modern bmx components to give it the muscle ratrod vibe. To me when everything is mismatched and makes no sense then I've hit my mark.

HxCforever said:
To me when everything is mismatched and makes no sense then I've hit my mark.
:wink: Looks spot on to me!

Luke.

LukeTheJoker said:
HxCforever said:
To me when everything is mismatched and makes no sense then I've hit my mark.
:wink: Looks spot on to me!

Luke.

Thank you. Just wait until the weekend when I start to mock up the drivetrain so I can buy my sprocket and freewheel. Also got my hands on an old knucklehead tail light that I'm going to mount to the fender.

Pure phsychobilly type .....

Re: '47 cwc western flyer "psychobilly" rat rod

If that's your direction then keep going I'd say. Mismatch grips and spokes a pedals.
Get a two tone chain and Mismatched pedal blocks. Make it downright schitzophrenic and bipolar not just Psychobilly alternate chrome and black bearing cups -anything and everything.

20131122_173134_zpsd5ced880.jpg

Had a buddy at work fill in a hairline crack I found.

LukeTheJoker said:
Nice work, well worth doing to save a looptail!

Luke.

It was a must since i plan on putting some miles on this bike.

Fender/ tail light/ rear wheel mock up. Seat is just for show until my other comes in.

LukeTheJoker said:
If you can get the fender just like that it will look awesome!

Luke.

You don't even understand how long it took me to get the bracket, mounting with washers to get it like this. So when I take it off I'll use extra notes to how I had it.

Like it a lot. Originally was going in a similar direction on my CWC bike but it turned into more of a restoration with some custom paint plans. Was the stem you got with the bike the original to it? I'm looking for one for my slightly earlier bike and haven't seen what the originals looked like.

That wheel/tire combination makes the bike.

Like it a lot. Originally was going in a similar direction on my CWC bike but it turned into more of a restoration with some custom paint plans. Was the stem you got with the bike the original to it? I'm looking for one for my slightly earlier bike and haven't seen what the originals looked like.

That wheel/tire combination makes the bike.

Thank you. The stem is not the original but I've always been in love with these. I do indeed have the original stem if you need a reference or even want to purchase it.

My freewheel should be delivered tomorrow hopefully before i leave for work. So I'm tinkering a little bit finishing up tightening bolts and such.

Something new for between the bars. Took a scrap piece of cedar I had, ebony stained it and poly coated.
Tried to get the feel and contour of the frame.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back