5 hp Tecumseh Engine a moped & a Safti Cycle bike Pre Build off Need Brains

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Ok I bought a Safti Cycle & a old lawn mower Late this past fall . I realized That the Lawn mower would need rings at the very least.. I then by luck bought a Moped at a local auction a few weeks later for the light & the Exhaust maybe the wheels & fork for my Safti Cycle build .
(The wheels & fork where a maybe to me because I wanted to keep this more bicycle than moped..) Then winter came in so I had no time to work on this . This week I came across this Tecumseh 5 hp motor Never used or fired in the original box !
The Engine will fit the frame perfectly I believe.. The mounting holes line up .. I will have to remove the tank & Id like to change out the Exhaust to the moped one I have providing I find a tube to mount to the exhaust port . I not sure if I'm going to use a centrifugal clutch ,or a belt drive with or with out a jack shaft ( I wont be able to know what I can or can't use until the engine is mounted & I can see how the shaft lines up with the frame . ) The Frame is 20 lbs the motor is 30 lbs ( Is the motor weight to frame weight ratio a issue? When I was originally going to run a 3 hp motor , I original intended to use 24 inch bicycle wheels with a OCC fork ,The weight is making me take a second long look at the moped wheels/ fork option.) I may shed a couple of motor pounds taking off the tank & exhaust. Any ideas or advise is appreciated even if its bad advice ..:39: I could really use some clutch/ gear teeth /And overall general drive train advise . The motor shaft is 3/4 & is keyed & has a bolt option at the end of the shaft. Im going to try to figure out a way to ad a crank & sprocket so the bike can be pedaled This may be my build off bike if I can pedal it & I don't see myself doing any work other than gathering parts & planing a build until Build off time ..

The Frame & lawn mower I found in Oct.
DSC03400_zpse251d461.jpg

Can you say Hemi . The Motor with the 24 inch wheels I could use ?? I also have a multi speed 24 in disk brake wheel .
DSC08289_zps3f559f56.jpg

More Motor pics
DSC08296_zpsfe0fcadd.jpg

DSC08300_zpsa2aa93c3.jpg

The Moped I bought in Nov. for wheels Light Speedometer & Exhaust ( I bought this for parts but It may still run ?? )Then what do I do ? ( Sorry for crappy pics 4 feet of snow outside. )
DSC08302_zps8cd1d5c3.jpg

DSC08304_zps3474ee1f.jpg

DSC08301_zpsa8776271.jpg

Last edited:
i think the frame you have will be fine. i would recommend using the moped wheels for the braking power that they provide. a little fabrication will be needed to complete everything but overall i think that you have a good starting point.
i have not used a tecumseh motor yet, i have just acquired the same as yours. but i have used the gx200 thats in the same hp range. i am only running a mountain bike front fork and 26 inch wheel with disk brake. this is not enough to stop the bike at good speed.

i think the frame you have will be fine. i would recommend using the moped wheels for the braking power that they provide. a little fabrication will be needed to complete everything but overall i think that you have a good starting point.
i have not used a tecumseh motor yet, i have just acquired the same as yours. but i have used the gx200 thats in the same hp range. i am only running a mountain bike front fork and 26 inch wheel with disk brake. this is not enough to stop the bike at good speed.
I agree. You can never have too much brakes.

I would loose the fork and try to find one from a west coast Jesse James chopper I swaped them out on my OCC choppers because they are much sturdier the steering improved greatly

Hello, What I ran into with the OCC fork is that I have to use the OCC fork bearing cups inside the safti cycle frame fork bearing cups they fit in like a glove but would require a few tack wields.I'm not sold on doing that yet .Im assuming Id run into the Same issue on the Jessie James fork. I'm hoping that the moped fork bearings /hardware are the correct size ?? Hopefully someone can chime in before I have to tear the moped fork apart to find out. I appreciate the idea.

yes it would be the same issue with the bearings as the steer tube is the same size the triple trees are much beefier and don't flex like the OCC ones. I would take both pieces to your local bike shop or hardware store if there is one near you and see if you could find the bearings first I know ACE hardware here carries a selection of bearings
100_2230.JPG

Thank you for the
yes it would be the same issue with the bearings as the steer tube is the same size the triple trees are much beefier and don't flex like the OCC ones. I would take both pieces to your local bike shop or hardware store if there is one near you and see if you could find the bearings first I know ACE hardware here carries a selection of bearingsView attachment 8729
Thank you for the reply & the advise .I'm guessing the same would be the same on the moped fork ?( Being similar to the bike fork steer tube diameter ) Ill be glad to provide better info on my end after the 85 inches of Snow melts here .Our Normal snow fall is about a foot a year ..:headbang:

Latest posts

Back