1958 Schwinn "Convoy"

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
ok finally found a bike for the mbbo. 50s? schwinn converted to a muscle bike. it has a bendix red band coaster.
WIN_20201025_13_16_34_Pro.jpg

if anybody can date this please tell me. :happy:
The serial number, probably on the left rear dropout will give the date. If it's older than 1953, the number will be under the cranks on the bottom bracket. Post it up to see.

ok the serial is on a dropout and it says f862911

Looks like a classic Schwinn lucky seven 36 tooth chain wheel. That's correct for a 20" Schwinn bike from 1958. I don't have a pic from a 58 catalog, and the other catalog pics don't show the 20" version of the girl's bikes chain wheel. Here's a pic of a 20" Schwinn girl's bike like yours though:
1603756813809.png

Yours is an early conversion, judging by the polo seat. Banana seats came about in the early 60's with a lot of kids converting their old bikes, these bikes were nicknamed "pigbikes" but I don't know why that name was used. High bars and wide rear tire made it a muscle bike.
The redband hub came out in 61, and it's easy to take apart, clean, lube, and put back together.
1603757103814.png

So your rear wheel is one of those, I'll bet your front wheel is the original 1958.
It should make for a decent build.

ive ridden it a bit now, it rides good but the red band needs rebuilding. i would like to add more to the bike, but i don't want to take any of the parts that are on it off. does anybody have suggestions for cool accessory's for the bike? -i saw a headlight i liked.

ive ridden it a bit now, it rides good but the red band needs rebuilding. i would like to add more to the bike, but i don't want to take any of the parts that are on it off. does anybody have suggestions for cool accessory's for the bike? -i saw a headlight i liked.
I don't know if these are the kind of accessories you're thinking of, but hopefully they'll give you some ideas.

1. Headlight
2. Sting-Ray-style rear fender
3. Chainguard (could be a Schwinn, but you can always go with whatever you think looks cool!)
4. Tassles
5. Bell
6. Different fork (though I understand you don't necessarily want to tank any parts off. Still, it's an idea.)
7. Pinstriping or decals
8. Tiller stars for wheel spinners
9. The old playing card flicking against the spokes
10. I don't know if they made them for this size of bike, but maybe a tank
11. Truss rods
12. Baseball bat holder

thank you! light, chain guard, and fender sound cool. i have some muscle bike front fenders laying around.
i looked up tiller star wheel spinners couldn't find any pics of how they are attached.

thank you! light, chain guard, and fender sound cool. i have some muscle bike front fenders laying around.
i looked up tiller star wheel spinners couldn't find any pics of how they are attached.
You're welcome! Yeah, try out those parts and see if you like them.

Give me a moment to find a photo of what I'm thinking about with those tillers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back