50's Schwinn Rat-Rod Boardtracker

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: 50's Schwinn Rat-Rod Boardtracker

ehuruvep.jpg
Got my sprocket and too hat from kings today. So I changed my primary gearing to 28/30 with a 12t clutch "waiting on my 10t" with a 60t sprocket.
8yqa4uru.jpg
6amyvy4e.jpg

Extended the fender down to the chain stays and got all my fender gaps in line. Gonna do some fender braces this week. Maybe 3/8" stainless like the seat braces
yzadany6.jpg
either way the fender is a lot stiffer now that its extended. So the braces might not be needed after all. Less its more rite!

I gotta say that, IMO, this is definitely the rattiest, coolest bike here! Looks really beefy n bulky, looks strong. And 50% of this is caused by the fork. It is awsome! Congratulations.

3ubyjuze.jpg
Finished up the Electronics box and fit the battery. Nice and snug should be super simple to fasten down.
ajate2ej.jpg
Just waiting on the rectifier/ regulator to get here and I can start pulling wire thru the frame. I need to find a old glass lens blinker or taillight.If anyone has a lead on one let me know The rattier the better just no huge lights or plastic lens.

Sorry if I'm asking something twice, but how is your kick starter set up? One would be nice on my henderson, and I'd like to mimic, if it would be semi feasible.

Ccd

charliechaindrive said:
Sorry if I'm asking something twice, but how is your kick starter set up? One would be nice on my henderson, and I'd like to mimic, if it would be semi feasible.

Ccd
CCD go back and study the pictures and read he exsplained it to me. The kick start is like a jackshaft with a return spring on one end and a drive sprocket on the other. The drive end goes up and turns a freewheel sprocket on the main jackshaft.

Its baseicaly the same as the old briggs one could even mount the freewheel right to the engine if freewheel is the right direction.

You can get left hand freewheel from staton-inc

RollinLow I just love your build kind of like why didn't i think of that? I knew about the kick start but never thought about doing it that way,and everything else that you have done. Thanks for getting this old brain to funtion again.
I can't wait to see how the variable pully works out. LOVE IT............Curt

Curt explained it perfectly.its a heavy duty free wheel I pulled apart( so I didn't burn all the grease out) and tiged a keywayed shaft collar lock to it. I be being there is a place you can buy an adaptor that is threaded to match a free wheel. But it's only available in 5/8" and I needed 3/4". When I tear it down next week I will take a lot of photos of the power train an kick start for everyone .

Never be afraid to ask questions even if you think it's been asked before. The way I learned to do what I do was by asking millions of questions and watching a lot of Monster garage, trucks, American chopper etc... I wasn't lucky enough to have a family member or a family friend that was proficient in welding and fabrication. That's the beauty of growing up in the Internet age

a9a8ugy6.jpg
some left over leather from the seat I had laying around. I think this is how I'm going to fasten all the wire/ cable that will be exposed. I thought about maybe making a few feet of leather tube to use and wire housing and cable covers that or finding the old braided cloth stuff

this bike is looking awesome! if they ever make another mad max movie this needs to be in it! :wink: have you taken a weight on it to see what it weighs to this point?

I waqs over to my neighbors and he was working on a 69 Nova for a guy. In the back seat area laid the hand crank window control. On it there is a nice flat wound spring that looks like a old Briggs kick start spring. You might want to check it out for a future build.
Would be simple just slot the end of the shaft and make a tab to hold the other end. And any old car would have them.........Curt

Latest posts

Back