51 Panther

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JA331

Ride it like you stole it.
Pro Member
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_5625 (002).jpg
IMG_5621 (002).jpg
IMG_5624 (002).jpg
IMG_5626 (002).jpg

Built this up last weekend. Its a 51 Panther. Paint is original in parts, touched up some of the black and then rubbed most of it off. Wheels and seat are from my late heavy duti, cromo forks and cranks are from a wtp avenger. Repro Schwinn stem. Handlebar from a chinese made Schwinn, girls bike! Rides super smooth. My fitness plan this summer at 35 pounds and single speed. Hope my 53 year sold knees are enough to power it.

Last edited:
View attachment 138857Thanks. Definitely something with this bike or frame which gives it such a plush ride. I haven't ridden a single speed since I was 16 and thought I would miss having a couple of extra gears but i find it fine for cruising around the neighborhood.
I'm in the same scenario..51 havent ridden (pedaled) a single speed for any length since about 14yo...just picked up a ratty columbia yesterday. Went for a ride to pick up take out chinese with my son...what a blast...very limited (singl speed) cruising though here (except downtown tourist atea) becuase of hills without packing up bicycle. I e built a few motorized Panthers but never a pedal only.

Have been cruising around the neighbourhood on the panther the last week or so. As much as i liked the more modern look of the 3 piece cranks I had on the bike I was finding them a little uncomfortable being 180mm long. Scrounging through one of my parts boxes i found the original crank, fitted it and then discovered it was bent on the left side. Had another look and found these cool 6 1/2" (165mm) dogleg cranks off a late Schwinn parts bike.
IMG_5766.jpg
IMG_5768.jpg

Thanks. Its amazing how an old simple bike has renewed my interest in getting on the pedals again. I have had a few new bikes over the years but this beautiful old Schwinn makes me feel like a teenager every time i take it out.

Wanted to fit some original forged forks with truss rods when I built this recently but I didn't have a stem short enough that fit inside the forks. Now sorted with a 50's stem which arrived in the mail this week. Think I'm done with this one for a while.
Pantherv2.2.jpg
Pantherv2.3.jpg

Latest posts

Back