' 51 Schwinn DX pedicab project -Rolling mock up pics-

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
I've been looking for an alternative to the bike/trailer combo for hauling my son around town for a while, not that there's anything wrong with bike trailers, they just aren't that cool looking, and you can't really go all out customizing an aluminum frame covered in nylon. My neighbor got an old Chinese pedicab in trade and decided he had too many other projects going so I took it off his hands.
This is what I'm starting out with;

I'm ditching the 24" step through frame and the butcher brake/ leather strap brake combo, so I removed the cab sections and started trying to figure out the frame.

Here's a close up of where the front frame and rear frame come together, this is also how you would adjust the chain tension.

Here's the rear section with the front removed

I bought a '51 DX frame from Vintagebikelover24 that had broken welds at the seat stay, it's getting chopped to become the new front.

This is how it is today, I've got to build a sub frame to hold the Shimano 3sc hub I got from carterz and I need to convert the rear cog from freewheel to fixed gear, locate a front fender and a whole lot more.

Re: ' 51 Schwinn DX pedicab project

I'm diggin this project.. I can see where your going with this ride.. Can't wait to see it done.. AWESOME.!!!!

That would be killer with a tank on it all painted up custom, cool idea.

Got a little more done over the weekend, not too much but enough. The back cab portion is just sitting in place just so that I can get an idea of clearance for the hub.

I've finished the sub frame, welded the freewheel to make it a fixed gear, and I've built a new shift linkage, I've got a few adjustments to make as far as getting everything synced up with the shifter but aside from that both chains are on and we've got a roller!
I'm now at my favorite part of any build, the aesthetics. So far I've found the lights, fender, chainguard, bars and grips, I'm planning to use and I've started scuffing the rear frame and body panels for primer. I'll be hand painting the body panels to match the crustiness of the DX frame which I still need to clean so I can know exactly what color it is under all that dirt and rust. Here's some mock up pics as of earlier this evening.

I've been trying to get as much done as I can while the weather's nice, for those unaccustomed to Texas weather, it ,unlike this project, turns on a dime. Today was in the 70's tomorrow a fronts going to drop the low into the 20's so I've been working the better part of my afternoon. The end result is a nice mock up, with very little actually bolted up of what the finished project will look like with a few surprises still in store. So without further ado I give you the only '51 DX pedicab in existence.

Please forgive the after dark, cell phone pics, I'll get some better ones up soon.

cool lookin ride !!!! that frame ur using came from illinois ... :wink:
i like what u done with it !!!! LOL
r u gonna make money with this thing or just for driving drunk buddies around ..?

mikesbikes36 said:
cool lookin ride !!!! that frame ur using came from illinois ... :wink:
i like what u done with it !!!! LOL
r u gonna make money with this thing or just for driving drunk buddies around ..?
I was kind of reticent when you first let me know about the broken welds to let on what my plans were, some people would "no sale" me if I said " Oh its cool I'm gonna chop this thing to pieces." I'm glad you like.
As for making any money with it, around here you have to carry insurance on pedicabs that are used for a business, and it's next to impossible to insure one you built yourself, so I'm planning on using it to drive around my wife and son, kind of a mom and pop ratrod rickshaw. My drunk buddies, they'll have to find their own ride, vomit and Mexican blankets do not go together. :lol:

Latest posts

Back