Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
In.
Got parts,
will build.

K-BOspaken.jpg

K-BOvelgopschrift.jpg

Those spokes are either really short, or a really thick gauge. Curious to see what you're cooking up.

Both. They are from a wheelchair, needed the hubs for the sidecars. (No no, I bought it, honest!)
I have a set of drum brakes, so I need shorter spokes, and the fatter the better.
Me doing this started with finding a MTB front-wheel and tire, and the next day finding another MTB tire...
559 is the size of the rims I bought, in millimeters. Getting stuff for free costs money.

Sorry, I have to disappoint you guys, no sidecar on this one. The plan is to make a functional off-road bicycle, and my off-road experience with the sidecar was scary and painful. Or maybe....? I got three of them, so.... No, I only found two MTB tires, and two of those stainless rims. Maybe some other time, for a sidecar/tricycle build-off. (I DID think about it.)

Had no good pictures concerning the build, so here is my sidecar collection (yawn):
spanzijspannen.jpg

Burco1.jpg

Things to do:
some welding on the frame (rust)
drilling out spoke holes in rims (good quality stainless, AAHRG!)
remodelling front fork (tire won't fit, too narrow, made for 28")
handlebar search
and so on.

Rims: done
velggatenruimen.jpg

Fork: well done
vorkvoor.jpg

voorvorkgaar.jpg

Found motorcycle hanlebar(s?), no picture yet, blue

Frame: not yet
Union.jpg

Wheels: done, drum front, drum and three speed rear
voorwiel-trommel.jpg

achterwiel-trommel.jpg

I have no idea what this thing will look like, except that it will be black.

Almost rideable, have to connect brakes and gears to various handlebar levers, put on cranks and chain. Then it's far from finnished, but ready for a test drive. Sorry, no pictures (too dark; battery consumption of my camera does not allow flash), hope to take some tomorrow. Bye for now.
PS: The brand name of the frame is 'Union', this one is made in '62 or '63, I know thanks to this site:
http://www.rijwiel.net/

Yep, I can call it a bicycle now, took it for a testrun through the park, off the paved roads, no problem.
Not bad for a 16 kilo / 35 pound low-tech bike. Uphill could be a problem though....
I had the wrong size cotter pins, 9.5mm, and had to get a pair of 9mm, and file them in shape today, so it was again too late to take any sort of decent pictures, sorry. Tomorrow, I promise!

This bike is really fun to ride, a heap of rubbish and leftovers easily overtaking "real" MTBs, so it's worth finnishing, build-off or no build-off. (To be honest: Not much of an accomplishment, I ride like the idiot that I am, other people just ride home from work.)
As promised, pictures of the unfinished but rideable bike:

TF1frontbijwerkplaats2.jpg

TF1voornaafbijwerkplaats.jpg

TF1stuurstrop.jpg

TF1versnkabelstop1.jpg

And then the camera battries where flat again...
A bit later:

TF1buitenrechtsa.jpg

TF1buitenvoorkant.jpg

I know that's a rear tire up front, but it didn't fit the frame.

Looks good. Cool bars. That slack headtube angle reminds me of the first MTB like Stumpjumpers and such.

Thanks, Cman.
There is a motorcycle shop across the street, run by friends of mine. I walked in and asked if they had any handlebars for off-road riding or something. "See what you can find" and I pointed at this blue Superbike thing. "Take it" was the answer. Just the first one I saw, and it fits the bike.
The headtube angle is one of the main reasons I ride old bikes, they are more stable. Another reason is the quality of the steel. Third reason: Passing people on their new-shiny-multispeed-comfortable-whatever on something that looks like it is falling apart is fun.

--I like the look of this bike, the angle of the head- and seattube, the fork, the drumbrakes!--

Says the man who just designed and built a complete frame and fork. Saw the pictures today, looks good.
Thanks.

Hi dude,dig your sidecar.Cool bike.
I want to build a leaning one like this sometime:
sidecar-bm.jpg

Noticed we sort of live in the same hood.
I have a serious bicycleproblem,my attic is stuffed with bikeframes and parts,
so if you need something you are welcome to have a look.
6830258-0-display.jpg

Looks interesting, building it, and riding it.....
IF we live in the same neighborhood, we COULD discuss it over a cup of coffee some day.
Nice to meet another sidecar fan.

Not much done to the Build-Off bike, preparing the frame for painting is not my thing, progress is slow.

Latest posts

Back