58 Schwinn Spitfire-Stingray Inspiration- Johnny's Ride Done

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
This bike was picked up from a former Southern California resident. The bike belonged to a kid named Johnny, who received this as a hand me down from his older brother. Johnny added the Hi-Rise handlebars in 1960 as the Custom craze was just beginning. In 1962 he purchased a Solo Polo seat(since gone missing). This bike was Johnny's pride and joy that was ridden daily.

One day while riding down by the Bellmont Roller Coaster in Mission Beach, a man stopped to talk to him about the bike. He was interested in the modifications that Johnny had done. He really like the seat and handlebars that had been added. The man's name was Al Fritz.

This bike will be "restored" to just the way Johnny built it.

1014091713.jpg

1014091714b.jpg

1014091713b.jpg

Re: '58 Schwinn Spitfire Custom- The Stingray Inspiration

Cman- Building a sweet little pig bike! Very cool. All the pre-Stingray stuff that people came up with is so cool to see. To find one that's got actual known history, 40+ years later, that's priceless!

So, um, talk to me about a seat...

092509solopolot.jpg

092509solopolob.jpg

It's from the right era. And it's available.

--Rob

Rob, Thanks for the offer, I will let you know.

Should be fun little bike when completed. I have the front S7 tire which is just a Kenda. The front fork is bent about 10 different ways. I am looking for something to match the old paint.

This is a fantastic bike! I'm inspired to imitate this one just based on the back story alone. Please keep this one updated.
Sean

The first seats were made by Persons and called Polo seats. Styled after some seats used on bikes used for playing polo in Europe. They never really took off when they were first produced. More info can be read at John Brains site. He has done a great history of custom bikes. http://bikerodnkustom5.homestead.com/br ... ory58.html click on the Bikes w/years to read each chapter/year.

Here is some of the History
Bob Persons, owner of the "Persons Majestic Corporation", in January 1960 at a bicycle trade show. Bob Persons was the creator of the "Solo Polo" banana seat. America's first banana seat. The "Solo Polo" seat was first created by Persons in the late 1950's. Persons' seat was inspired by a similar type of seat he had seen while on a business trip to Europe. Sales of "Solo Polo" seats were almost non-existent till 1962, when teenagers in California started buying them up to kustomize their bikes. This is the earliest photo of a Persons "Polo" seat that I was able to find.

I wish it were April 1 so I could keep up the charade. The story in the first post was just a story. I found this bike down at the Boise Bike Project. They needed a complete bike to auction off and this one was far from completion so I traded for my son's Butchered Bantam. It is a fun project to recreate this bike. Sorry if I misled anyone.

Here is the bike I traded. Much like some of the early customs in John Brains history.
0717081936.jpg

cman said:
The first seats were made by Persons and called Polo seats. Styled after some seats used on bikes used for playing polo in Europe. They never really took off when they were first produced. More info can be read at John Brains site. He has done a great history of custom bikes. http://bikerodnkustom5.homestead.com/br ... ory58.html click on the Bikes w/years to read each chapter/year.

Here is some of the History
Bob Persons, owner of the "Persons Majestic Corporation", in January 1960 at a bicycle trade show. Bob Persons was the creator of the "Solo Polo" banana seat. America's first banana seat. The "Solo Polo" seat was first created by Persons in the late 1950's. Persons' seat was inspired by a similar type of seat he had seen while on a business trip to Europe. Sales of "Solo Polo" seats were almost non-existent till 1962, when teenagers in California started buying them up to kustomize their bikes. This is the earliest photo of a Persons "Polo" seat that I was able to find.

I wish it were April 1 so I could keep up the charade. The story in the first post was just a story. I found this bike down at the Boise Bike Project. They needed a complete bike to auction off and this one was far from completion so I traded for my son's Butchered Bantam. It is a fun project to recreate this bike. Sorry if I misled anyone.

Here is the bike I traded. Much like some of the early customs in John Brains history.
0717081936.jpg

Thanks for the info and link, going to check it out now.

Good leg pullin! So, Are you going to build it as a "Johnny" bike? Thanks for the link too. Very interesting stuff.
Sean

sean138 said:
Good leg pullin! So, Are you going to build it as a "Johnny" bike? Thanks for the link too. Very interesting stuff.
Sean
Yes it will be built with "Johnny" in mind.

I was going to ask where the high rise handlebars would have come from, but I didn't want to ruin a good story.

Like the green band 2 speed Bendix hub, a really good story.

Wildcat said:
I was going to ask where the high rise handlebars would have come from, but I didn't want to ruin a good story.

High rise bars began pre 1960. I encourage you to read John Brains history. http://bikerodnkustom5.homestead.com/br ... ory58.html

I wanted to keep the story going but I am not the best story teller. :wink:

Here is an newspaper pic from 1960.

1960__1_.b..Jan.10B.jpg

cman said:
Wildcat said:

High rise bars began pre 1960. I encourage you to read John Brains history. http://bikerodnkustom5.homestead.com/br ... ory58.html

I wanted to keep the story going but I am not the best story teller. :wink:

Here is an newspaper pic from 1960.

1960__1_.b..Jan.10B.jpg

I definitely recommend that link! its a great read...except 65-67 is missing :(

I was on another site an it said the new BikeRod and kustom was coming out on Halloween :D I never knew so much went on before the stingrays came out. Sounds like the kids made them rfirst then Schwinn made the first factory version. The cops really hated the tall handlebars didnt they?

Dorian

Dorian, Yeh the BRK article have lots of pics regarding cops and those tall handlebars. Probably the first time the safety-patrol got after bikes. Obiviously before Ralph Nader's time. His group was responsible for redesigned coaster brakes, no more stick shifts and amber reflector pedals.

Tried my hand at fork bending. Didn't work too well. Still on the hunt for a fork to fit. This has a fairly short headtube compared to other 20" bikes.

1031091450.jpg

So as winter slowly settles across Boise,,,,,Clancy becomes a Historian....and a story teller. :lol: The build ought to be fun. But your forgetting as the snow falls ,it will be time to hit the slopes.....maybe put a ski on the front.

i was going to try fixing a bent fork that way too. thanks for testing the process and saving me the trouble.

I'm pretty sure thats how they did it at the Schwinn Factory. :roll:

Back