59 schwinn tornado "Red" NEW PICS

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Starting my first ever complete rebuild. Here's the before:
photo1.jpg

The game plan is to part out all the bells and whistles (tank, fender, truss rods, light, rack, rims) and using the money from that to get the frame media blasted and powdercoated bright red. I'll also add new red rims with a nexus 3 speed hub and some Electra all cream tires.

Inspiration and target look:
100_0595.jpg

I'm thinking "red" will be a good nickname for it.

Anyone want dibs on a straightbar tank in decent shape?

Re: 59 schwinn tornado "Red"

If you want to sell the tank let me know? Sent zip 23836
Mitch

KEEP THAT BIKE TOGETHER,WHAT ARE YOU THINKING PARTING OUT AN ORIGINAL BIKE.IF YOU DONT WANT IT SELL IT AND BUY A FRAME.YOU ARE GOING TO BE SORRY IF YOU PART IT OUT.

That's a great frame to do a build with, a straightbar. The whole bike looks good in the photo, but I know sometimes they look better in a photo than they really are. The white rims look in good shape, is it the spokes that are shot?

I would agree with Jay Dawg though, that 1959 Deluxe Tornado is in good enough shape to clean up and keep original. The paint looks great for being 51 years old.

baaaaaah you guys are right. I've been struggling with this since I got her. I've already got it torn down and plan to replace a few of the chrome pieces from a donor bike. The headlight is shot, so I'll try and get that media blasted this week and repainted. I'll have to shine up the chrome trusses.

The handlebars are shot though. Were can I get a new chrome handlebar like this one?

And yeah, the spokes are totally rusted. But luckily the donor bike has the same wheels with new spokes. I'll have to switch them around this week as well.

I know around where I live, I could sell it for $400 on Craig's. John c has a 51 Schwinn straight bar in the for sale section for $30. I'd get that from John, sell yours and get a donor bike to finish it up.

Everything on the bike is in decent condition with one exception... the delta hawk headlight.
light1.jpg

light2.jpg

light3.jpg

I'll be taking it to a local media blaster with a "self serve" option. Then I'll paint it white and upgrade the interior to one ultra high power LED running on a 9V. Should be able to engineer the light system without having to cut and modify the original interior. Headlights are my specialty so far. Upgraded my Giant Simple with a bullet headlight converted to a 16 LED system (Still not bright enough!)

Everything else will be cleaned, waxed, and reattached. Bearings were in awesome shape (either never used or replaced 10-20 years ago.) Repacked and installed.

The old fork wedge is stuck at the bottom of the fork but I can not get that thing to budge. BP blaster didn't work, heating it didn't work, pulling and cursing at it didn't work. However, I do have enough room in the tube to put in a new wedge so not all is lost.

Trying my hand at relacing those wheels as well. Should be fun!

man I am glad you decided to keep it as stock as possible , that is a nice bike and not enough nice old schwinns like that around.

LCW said:
man I am glad you decided to keep it as stock as possible , that is a nice bike and not enough nice old schwinns like that around.

Yeah it does seem like the right thing to do. I've relaced the front wheel and trued it (My first wheel rebuild.) Used a little buffing compound and wax on one of the fenders and it shined up very nicely.

Does anyone know what color red schwinn used on this bike? The tank's red areas are pretty shot and I've toying around with the idea of repainting just the red areas of the tank.

Used a little rubbing compound followed by a high quality wax. Here's the before and after of the fenders (unpolished on the left, polished on the right.) Really brings out the sheen.
Resized_fenders.jpg

All the painted surfaces are decent enough to polish and leave be. Except for the tank:
tank.jpg

I'm guessing the paint wear on the top of the tank is from a persons leg rubbing on it as they mounted/dismounted. The other side is much more vibrant but also worn out in places.

Is there a close matching red paint that I could use to redo just the red parts of the tank?

Touch up or leave alone??

We would ride sidesaddle on the top bar when we were toddlers, if we could get someone to give us a ride. That may be how the paint is worn down on the tank.

I would leave it, proof it's the real thing, not a repop. But if you touch up the tank, gloss red rustoleum enamel might match up very closely. That's what I used on my Schwinn, which has nothing original about it. The tank is a repop I completely repainted to look like a vintage one. The spray rustoleum red comes in two shades, one is a darker shade, you probably want the brighter red. I use the gray primer, and use blue painter's tape to mask off the tank. I put the tape on the trim and cut along the scroll with a razor knife to get a good clean edge.

33zb76c.jpg

Here's the headlight after media blasting:
Resized_cleanheadlight.jpg

Came out great and it's going to look even better with a few coats of paint.

Glad you decided to keep it stock. Your inspiration bike is mine, glad you like it. It's built from a new bike. Go to Walmart, or Kmart and buy a new cruiser bike and build it like mine. Thanks, Dean

Thanks for the encouragement everybody!

I finished the headlight restore. Fresh coat of paint (Wimbledon white). I've also installed a 36 led flashlight so that it will really light the way. The fit is amazing and it's hard to believe this flashlight wasn't designed to fit in this headlight.

head1.jpg

head3.jpg

head2.jpg

head4.jpg

head5.jpg

head6.jpg

I'm really glad that the embossed "Delta Hawk" is visible again! Makes a cool flashlight walking around, might try to find another to restore just for the fun of it.

I begin rebuilding the bike tomorrow!

Yup its nice when things come together so effortlessly. The horn on the other hand wasn't as easy. After tearing apart the buttom and installing a new D cell I am happy to report that the original horn works!

8)

Latest posts

Back