$60 Steal

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got these from the thrift store near by. Need help dating them, and finding out if they are worth anything before i chop them up(I dont plan on cutting up the 50's spitfire.)
the Womens Spitfire
Picture012.jpg

Picture016.jpg

Picture.jpg

Schwinn Varsity
Picture017.jpg

Picture018.jpg

Womens World Sport
Picture007.jpg

Picture015.jpg

Picture009.jpg

Raliegh Something or Other
Picture013.jpg

Picture014.jpg

If anybody knows anything about these I'd sure appreciate the info, thanks.

my 2 cents... cut the Raleigh up and clean up/sell the mens and womens Schwinns as a set. Then buy parts (and beer) with the money!! oh, and restore the spitfire :D :D

CristotheBastardo said:
Got these from the thrift store near by. Need help dating them, and finding out if they are worth anything before i chop them up(I dont plan on cutting up the 50's spitfire.)
the Womens Spitfire
If anybody knows anything about these I'd sure appreciate the info, thanks.

Post the serial numbers of the Schwinns. The Spitfire will have it either on the bottom of the bottom bracket (very early) or on left rear dropout. The Varsity and the red one will have it below the headbadge. On the Varsity, there is a 4-digit number stamped in the headbadge. I blew up your pic but I just can't make it out. Looks like maybe 0720? In any case, since I figure both bikes for 79-80-81 timeframe, it will indicate exact build date- the first 3 digits of the headbadge number are the DAY of the year, and t he 4th digit the year.

If it's 0720, it would be March 12th of 1980 (since it's a leap year). A 1980 bike ought to have an "R" for the second letter of the serial number as well, but since it takes a while for a frame to become a bike, it could be LQ or MQ (Nov. 79, Dec 79) or even earlier.

That's a very tall Varsity by the way- I would clean it up and post over on Schwinn's forum. You're bound to find a tall guy looking for just such a bike. http://www.schwinnbikes.com/heritage/

The red bike, as its badge says, is a Taiwan "Schwinn Approved" ladies model, the modern version of the Breeze or Collegiate. Nothing special, I gave one away recently to a friend who had lost 2 bikes (stolen, broke the locks). But a good rider and typical of early 80's models.

Craigslist is another good place to sell bikes and gets national exposure. Try to post in the largest local city market near you for best results!

Good luck with them, good finds all.

--=={{Rob}}==--

yup the world sport is early 80s, i got the guys version same color / decals and a sticker from 82 on it. not worth much unless your ridin it.

nice deal for that price tag tho !!!

Nice lights and genset on the Blue Schwinn. I agree with the others, unless they have aluminum rims, midgrade Suntour or Shimano components or better.. Sugino cranks are common with Suntour 7 Derailers then they are not worth a lot. Real nice bikes like I describred around here fetch $100-$150. Lower end componets and steel wheels are more like $40-50 bikes. Sold my Jetter which was real clean but steel wheels and low end Shimano stuff for $50

Ok what i would do is cut the top tube out of the Spitfire rake the head a little and if the tubes are close to the same size on the ladies World Sport cut it in half saving both the main frame tubes. Thats exactly how I did this bike but I did cut the triangle loose and lower it a bit. Just an opinion. Sweet find!
DSCN1541.jpg
[/img]

As for the: Raliegh+sawzall=chopper

heres my version of restored Raliegh mixte frame :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

IMG_0011c.jpg
:shock: :shock: :shock:

That bike is sick! You just opened my eyes to a whole new world of possibilities for the ladies frames. Awesome!

Thanks for the replie guys, youve given me some great ideas... I think the raleigh would like to look like a raked out chopper...

CtB,

What size wheels are on the blue womens Schwinn?

I think I have the same bike, mine has 24" wheels. The headbadge on mine is different and from what I could make out of the serial number, mine is a '52.

62H

Ya the wheels are 24s and the bike is a 49 womens spitfire, guess the owner got the tag after the fact... Im thinking this ones getting chopped up. I like what fatroy did to his...

fatroy--that bike is flippin' sweeet! Now i know what to do w/the next girls frame I come across, besides build it up for the wife.

Latest posts

Back