62 Typhoon Standie

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
With all this free time I went thru my parts bins and I put together this Strandie. I have a lot of 26” BMX and just wanted something a little different.

Frame 62 Schwinn Typhoon (double straight bar)
Cr-Mo 1 piece Cranks and Mongoose Snowflake
SR Stem
Barefoot Pedals
Shimano 3 speed w/coaster brake
Murray Baja Fork
Some one threw away those bars 3 years ago and they finally came into use.
Schwinn seat clamp
Persons saddle
New set of gumwalls

I think it has all the right patina and the those pedals really give it that Strandie look. I’m excited to take the kiddo out on a spin on this thing.

3 speed is not connected, I’m still trying to figure out how to do that. Any hints or options please let me know. I do have all the hardware that came off the old bike.

c2def3bf0b270b9567b603d061803874.jpg

fd8d183e1f74078d9437c6a8c591daca.jpg

5baaf8b323038312a1e5d8ed0d598e5a.jpg

ccc2536994c61dfa2571ec4272c1e92e.jpg

1781664157d457040d56f76e8d6726e5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It all looks good to me. Especially the paint job on the frame.

I had one of those Shimano coaster hubs for years. 3CC? Never had a problem. I just added light oil right down the axle hole. The bike shop said those weren't made to take apart and lube, but I'm not sure about that. I never did take it apart and had it for over 10 years of riding.
upload_2020-3-22_13-47-37.jpeg

The pin slides in on the left side, then the shift mechanism gets threaded on with it's lock nut going on first.
images

images

images

Then when you hook up the cable, the handlebar shifter (or grip) goes into second, or normal gear and you adjust the turnbuckle to get the round red circle and red line lined up. That should get you going, then recheck it in a few miles to see if it needs readjusted.

Once when my shifter went bad, I used the shifter cable and everything from a 3 speed Nexus and it worked, just 3rd was 1st and vice versa.

Last edited:
It all looks good to me. Especially the paint job on the frame.

I had one of those Shimano coaster hubs for years. 3CC? Never had a problem. I just added light oil right down the axle hole. The bike shop said those weren't made to take apart and lube, but I'm not sure about that. I never did take it apart and had it for over 10 years of riding.
View attachment 115470
The pin slides in on the left side, then the shift mechanism gets threaded on with it's lock nut going on first.
images

images

images

Then when you hook up the cable, the handlebar shifter (or grip) goes into second, or normal gear and you adjust the turnbuckle to get the round red circle and red line lined up. That should get you going, then recheck it in a few miles to see if it needs readjusted.

Once when my shifter went bad, I used the shifter cable and everything from a 3 speed Nexus and it worked, just 3rd was 1st and vice versa.

Does the turnbuckle get clamped on the frame to give it some type of resistance for shifting?

Does the turnbuckle get clamped on the frame to give it some type of resistance for shifting?

Yes it has a stop. On this green bike, it's on the downtube up on the frame, but mine were on the chain stay, closer to the hub. Depending on your cable parts, it should be about the same as you see in this video.

Latest posts

Back