'62 Typhoon

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Originally posted in "Fresh Finds" here: http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=11739&p=117394#p117394

My plan is to eventually use this bike for a build-off here. Until then it will stay in it's current state. Kinda ratty. I really like this frame and have lots of ideas for a future make-over.

xbyvu4lx.jpg

1vl0plo1.jpg

0wzu0wfd.jpg

Last week a package showed up at my house. Dad had ordered this sweet chainguard for me without saying anything and had it sent to my place. I haven't decided for sure if I'll use fenders down the road, but if I do the chainguard will be on there. 8)
qndzo2bt.jpg

nice of him to get ya a guard just out of the blue, and a nice one too !!! most of my other bikes already have fenders so i left mine off of my 62, they do come in handy though

100_3461.jpg

Installed a springer fork today and replaced the sparkly Schwinn grips with some Flexgrip hand grips. Never heard of them, but I got them for free and the black looks better.

dfobpuwt.jpg

nx4x21xh.jpg

fj5tvcvq.jpg

Re: '61 Tornado

Tornado.jpg

This one now has it's right handle bar, and differant wheels, those were trash out.
I cleaned up the gold paint, and underneith was the red.
Mitch

i will always have a softspot in my heart for the old schwinns.
IMG_0723.jpg

62' american (or wasp?) heavyduty (from what they saw). the feel of classic chicago steel. just commuted to work today on this one as a matter of fact.

sweet springer. its on my to do list, just for not for this one. dig the chainguard too. :mrgreen:

The best part about putting this springer fork on is the instant 2" it adds to the wheelbase, and that's before I sit my well over 200 pound self on it. :lol:

Dude, beautiful bike. I love the krate sprockets.. its so sharp. awesome. ;) only thing id run is some ape hangers.

ricksterr1221 said:
Dude, beautiful bike. I love the krate sprockets.. its so sharp. awesome. ;) only thing id run is some ape hangers.

It's only beautiful in a ratty way. Up close you can see the super crappy brushed-on red paint, chips, rust, etc. It's gonna get a makeover soon. I'm not much into apehangers, but actually was thinking they'd look alright on here.

Idc what ya say, i like it the way it is. :lol: Yeah apes would look nice on it, my opinion tho, i dont like how they flex and move when ur trying to get going real quick..

Might i suggest some chrome fenders? rear bobbed :p

I need to quit making suggestions and go build something :lol:

slacker said:
Wow! I just saw this. Looking good so far, blacksheep! You guys are putting together quite a collection. Cant wait to see what you do with the Huffy and Murray you picked up from me.

Thank you, sir. 8) This bike should look ALOT different in another few months. I haven't done a thing to that Huffy tanker frame yet, but I've got some ideas for it. For that Murray, Dad picked up some nice chrome fenders, a new tan/brown saddle, and some grips that should match the seat pretty good. He even has some matching pedals that may go on there. It's gonna be one classy looking ride. 8)

This is driving me nuts. Is there ANY WAY I can get my hands on one of these old frames??? The larger frame bikes are alot more distance friendly than the 20 inch monkey bikes we get down here, it's just I've probably got more luck in finding a full set of hen's teeth in my glove box than getting one of those. :? I know that there are all sorts of places like that Craigslist (???) and GreedBay where they can be picked up, but even if you find one, VERY rarely do they ship to Australia. Sorry, it just depresses me when I put all this effort into a bike and you think I've got the best look from what I've got, then I come onto this site and see bikes that look like they've been sitting in a lake for 50 years and they STILL look heaps cooler than anything I can get may hands on.

Siiiiggghhhhhh...... :|

Latest posts

Back