'65 Stingray Nominal Basic

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have good luck cleaning the part with rubbing alcohol , before
painting . Looks like maybe greasy fingers ?
Yeah, thanks sandman! I think it’s the paint.

Technically it’s not silver paint, it’s old leftover chrome paint. As I finished the part, the can was spitting out splotches at the end as the can was 100% empty. Maybe it wasn’t mixed well or evenly like a more full can.

Also, when I was sanding, I noticed the paint felt oily even though completely dry. I washed the part thoroughly with dish soap and the water was laying evenly on the part indicating no oil spots.

I dried it and shot it with spray!!

-Still got the cruddy coverage. I am going to clear coat the part and will definitely hit with alcohol before the next spray.

DCE14563-79E7-4214-860F-780AD712E7BC.jpeg
DBDD5696-C086-48AB-B99B-6EB2DD26710E.jpeg
45580B5B-3DFB-4A52-A1E0-3DD6DF3B2653.jpeg
Ok; forgive me father, I have sinned.....

FAKE PATINA!!!!!! AAAAHHHHH!

I feel so dirty!!!! Lol

Not a fan of fake patina but definitely had to “fake it til ya make it” on this chain guard so this build would look half way decent.

I still need to sand, blend, then clear coat. I’m really pleased with the outcome thus far. My weekend is chaos and I’m thrilled to have gotten this done as quickly as I did.

Hopefully I’ll get the chain guard sanded and blended during the week then apply the clear, multicolored metal flake to the whole rig sometime next weekend!!

I think you have a great start on the RaT-ina!

Sanding and blending, I've even used some alcohol on a rag to make the lines less distinct between the colors.

The metal flake on this should be really cool! :nod:

View attachment 107413 Ok; the bleach the grips experiment is done! I Just can’t get rid of what is now a purple-ish hue on the top, most damaged, darkened side.

If we ever get sun again, I’m going to try the hydrogen peroxide deal again; this time with the pro-hair care higher concentration stuff!
Another thing you might try, Castrol Super Clean. Popular among the plastic model crowd for stripping the paint off styrene car bodies without damaging, or discoloring, the plastic. Just pour some in a tub (referred to as the purple pond) and toss the grips in and let them set for as long as it takes :grin:.

Note 1: There is a product that is called Purple Power that is essentially the same, but weaker.

Note 2: Use gloves, it will suck every bit of moisture out of your skin and leave behind a dry flaking mess for days :doh:.

FB55A3E6-20E6-4FB4-9DBE-3050F6B400EB.jpeg
AC4AE41F-4038-4255-996F-B693ADC9E70F.jpeg
So, back from my business trip in Monterey, CA. Cruddy weather back here in upstate NY.

I just got the fake patina done on the chain guard this evening. Sanded, scuffed and wiped down with alcohol.

I’ve got all the parts (bare frame n chain guard) and paint for the clear coat inside the house to keep warm and hope to shoot tomorrow on a brisk 55 degree day.

46A63784-2A94-4D53-B5A9-4535749E050D.jpeg
58AEA337-52FC-43C9-8194-36CA493DC59B.jpeg
F1A73002-575B-48B3-88CB-1D1C110B58F7.jpeg
D94C58F4-DEF0-4A4E-982C-CBB168D7A45C.jpeg
3EF9E594-3AB2-4193-98FB-C4D88E05573D.jpeg
So, I get home from church, I’m scrubbing some dishes and look out my sink window and see clouds rolling in fast. (Top pic’). I ran out my side door and snapped a pic’ of my patio and what’s left of my garden. Enjoy upstate NY fall colors all you 2 season southerners and Californians!!!

-I mainly wanted to check my new paint job out in the sun and was going to lose it soon!!!

I sprayed my frame yesterday with the duplicolor effex paint and my dreamed about, amazing, shimmering, glimmering, gleaming, unbelievable patina frame, the stingray to end all stingrays is, uh..... shiny. :13:

I don’t know if I messed it up, it was too cold, I got a bad can, or what, BUT my multicolored metal flake paint job isn’t doing squat!!!

-I shook the HECK out of the can and actually ran warm water on the can to make sure the paint wasn’t crusty cold.

Maybe the mix of bare metal, silver base coat, faded coppertone and spray bomb burgundy is too busy for the flake to have affect???

I’m debating doubling down and getting another can and adding a second coat. I was disappointed for $14; there’s not a whole lot of paint in the can! It covered both sides of the chain guard, top and bottom of the frame and that’s it!!!!

I’m double clutching on the second can as I’m not wild about spending $14 on a can of glorified clear-coat.

I DEFINITELY want to add a clear metal flake to this frame, so if anyone has any suggestions, I’m all ears.

You might get better results if you bring it somewhere warm to dry as well. The cold damp nights aren't helping.

You might get better results if you bring it somewhere warm to dry as well. The cold damp nights aren't helping.[/QUOTE
Thanks Matti. It was about 60f and the metal was room temperature when sprayed. I did pull the parts into my garage to dry overnight, maybe 50 degrees in there...

Definitely cooler than the recommendation on the can, but not like I was spraying this in the snow!!!

If you want to see if you have more than clear coming out of that can, spray a little over something black. If you see nothing but black in bright light (look at it under different sources of light, some are much better than others), you got a bum can. Did you continue to shake the can as you were spraying? Is this the first time you used the can?

Anything other than a gloss finish will hide pearl and flake, but it appears you have a decent amount of gloss on that frame.

D026052B-EC80-46A9-9951-403D70F1BDDC.jpeg
8986C471-5245-4F17-88F9-078C643EB5F4.jpeg
368B872D-3F35-425C-B027-40DF4EAEF1F2.jpeg
This is great info PG! Thanks!!’

I did shake during and between spraying. (When I moved from chain guard to frame)

And this was a first time use, right off the store shelf.

As the can is empty, I can’t spray on black, but I do have the cardboard I sprayed the chain guard on. There is plenty of overspray on it.

Does this look like a bum can? I’m thinking yes? I’m not seeing much flake!?

I guess if the only way to see the flake is under super special lighting conditions combined with unique viewing angles, this is not the product I thought I bought.

I’m going to reach out to duplicolor and see what they say.

B695742F-1587-4208-82F7-135929EBE64D.jpeg
I snapped some pics here, in my house, with different lighting just to see if the sun was causing the flake not to shine.

The frame definitely looks glossier out of full day light, but I still honestly can’t see the slightest bit of metal flake on this thing!!!!

View attachment 107971 I snapped some pics here, in my house, with different lighting just to see if the sun was causing the flake not to shine.

The frame definitely looks glossier out of full day light, but I still honestly can’t see the slightest bit of metal flake on this thing!!!!
Yeah, I have never done the metal flake thing on a bike finish. There were a couple of really successful ones an MBBO or two ago. Maybe check the Archives, Theme Builds, MBBO and dig up the finished build threads. You should be able to find a couple of examples. @LukeTheJoker , @CRASH , maybe you guys remember ?

Latest posts

Back