'68 Sting Rat

Discussion in 'BUILD OFF 14 - CLASS 1 - BUILD JOURNALS' started by Chad T, May 3, 2019.

1. Chad T

Chad T

Hey guys! Don't have my bike yet but have started ordering high tech parts from far away lands.

I do have a pic from the for sale ad. It's a rat because it's stayin' like dat...:p

rat.jpg

Nothing more gloomy than some faded campus green so I plan to cheer it up with some purple. I've had this seat cover forever waiting for a project.

ps1.jpg

Could be pretty nauseating but I'm doing it anyway. I also love purple anodized parts...:)...gonna be ugly. Hopefully it's cool..:cool2:

Will update as parts arrive or when I do the seat which I actually have everything for.

Need to finish this trike too but it's almost done. http://ratrodbikes.com/forum/index.php?threads/chad-t-rike-roller.108534/

Some really great action this year! Hope to get around and visit all the builds. Looks like it's gonna be a good turnout.

2. OddJob

OddJob

Chad, there are many purple ano parts out there in repop. I found a 'grape crate' load when decking out the Fisher CR7 last season.

Can't wait to see what you do with this! RaT oN~!

N.Kildare1718 and Chad T like this.
  3. Chad T

Chad T

Been having a tough time finding copies of the really good stuff in purple. Looks like all the good stuff comes in purple.

Only purple 36h hubs out there are Hopes. Little pricey for a Sting Rat. The "DT Chinee" don't come in purple and the "Kris Ching" hubs only come in black and red so I got some Chris King copies in black..(Koozers).

Wanted to put purple v-brakes on this. Was hoping to find a copy of these.

[​IMG]

No fake ones out there and nobody has the purple in stock. $130 each so $260 a set..:43:

Almost went for these Dia Comps....meh.

dc.jpg

But then found some other purple brakes that were too juicy to pass up...:wink1:

Last edited: May 4, 2019
    kingfish254, KJV, MazdaFlyer and 5 others like this.
  4. SpikeFC

SpikeFC

Nah, shiny purple parts with green-patina frame? For me it's cool

OddJob and Chad T like this.
  5. OddJob

OddJob

+1 on the cool factor ^ !

Chad T likes this.
  6. G-Matt

G-Matt

What else is cooking on this build Chad ?
    There’s only 3 1/2 months to go ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RustyGold and Chad T like this.
  7. Chad T

Chad T

Thank you fellas. I hope it works out. Will have to be careful with the shade and amount of purple.

Been noticing this combo occurring naturally a lot in the yard.

gp2.jpg

Hey G-Matt! Well this will be the usual for me. BMX rims, Modern gears (10 or 11 speed) Modern brakes etc. 3 1/2 months left? Will have to pace myself...:p

All I have here so far is that seat cover. But I can show you a few things.

Here is the rim that will be on the back.

[​IMG]

It's called a Blank Generation XL. It's as wide as an S2. I wish it was blank. Gonna take a lot off Easy Off and sandpaper to get the black off and get it polished. :( That will kill some time for sure.

Bought this deraileur this morning.

[​IMG]

Like the cage on these. It's carbon fiber...:)

[​IMG]

Got one of these tires coming for the front. 20X1.10 Gonna put it on a widish polished rim I already have. Should give it a stretched look and give the bike some rake.

[​IMG]

That's about it for now. Just waiting on the mail man. Thanks for askin'...:thumbsup:

Oh...I've been working on finishing this trike as well. It's almost done.

[​IMG]

kingfish254, G-Matt, KJV and 12 others like this.
  8. hamppea

hamppea

I'm going for the Stranger crux xl on a flying wedge. I was thinking about using a narrow tire to get a lower profile look. I asked Stranger if they could send me a non anodized blank...nada.
    Got an idea how to spin the rim to break the ano with sandpaper. Gonna need a lot of oven cleaner. I'll see how yours turns out

RustyGold and Chad T like this.
  9. LukeTheJoker

LukeTheJoker Moderator

So Green and purple hey?

joker cufflinks.JPG

legojoker_2.jpg

A.S.BOLTNUT, SpikeFC and Chad T like this.
  10. Chad T

Chad T

That's a cool rim. Even wider than this one. Those concave ridges might be tricky if you're doing the sand/polish. Raw rims are hard to find. Last time I saw some I bought a few. Always wanted to figure out a rig to spin the rim. Made a jig to hold them and make sanding easier. Oven cleaner gets you a nice head start. I hit black chainrings with it and then just a quick sand and polish.

ring.jpg

You doing another wedge!?!?...:eek:...those are cool!

11. hamppea

hamppea

I had to drench parts in oven cleaner solution to do any real work.

It's a small diameter. You could pin down the outer rim on a spinning plater or a plank fixed to a shank in a low torque drill and do one side at a time. That should reduce deep scratching which is harder to smooth out as you near polishing. I did it a rim by hand and will never do it that way again. Uneven finish.

The Blank Generation XL is inexpensive for what it is and low profile. Only a 2mm diff from the Stranger.
    :39:... Can go with a SA X-RK8 hub 20'' rim for my Schwinn now being that the tail will be removed for a modular tail system. I don't have an appropriate 26'' I intend to use yet. Rather not wait or invest in parts I'm might chuck later. I can swap components on the Schwinn after 4 months as I learn more. Use the wheel on the Wedge when I devise a more ideal solution.

Last edited: May 7, 2019
    G-Matt, LukeTheJoker and Chad T like this.
  12. hamppea

hamppea

This is the method I'm using. Removed the axle bearings, replaced them with rubber at first as a clutch...spun out. Went metal to metal on a junk rim. Could figure on clamping. I'm impatient so inner tubing between and gaffers tape holding around both rims together will have to do.
    stupidtoolx1.jpg

kingfish254, Chad T and SpikeFC like this.
  13. Chad T

Chad T

So the wife send me this pic the other day while I was at work...:)

packages.jpg

Lets see what we got. Going more old school with the alloy cranks this time. YST BB.

cranks4.jpg

VP=Very Purple...:p...derailleur arrived. Should look good on some Campus Green.

derailleur.jpg

Decided to make this eleven speed because of Spinal Tap...:D

[​IMG]

Yeah you gotta soak with the oven cleaner and keep it wet for 15-20 minutes, then wire brush or steel wool before you rinse it off.

25 bux from Chain Reaction. On clearance right now.

Have used that method for hubs and it works great for that. Idea I had for a bare hoop is to have 2 rubber rollers for the hoop to sit on then a belt that goes around the hoop with a motor underneath the rubber rollers.

Thanks for the inspiration. Actually looking forward to doing this rim which I was dreading.

Here is the front rim I'm using. 31mm wide. 1.1 Durano should look nice and stretched on it. Hopefully it seats OK.

front rim.jpg

Bonus is it's already polished. Brake surfaces are rough though. Will have to sand and polish those as they won't be needed on this build..;)

14. hamppea

hamppea

Couldn't resist 25 + shipping. I'll soak half and use coarser paper on the other side to start with. See which is best/fastest.
    Yeah, must be several ways of going about spinning an unlaced hoop. I don't wanna it to become a project. Shot hub with rim, drill, tape, sand paper, power-strip with on/off for a foot switch and I'm good. OSHA aint looking.

Narrow tire, wide polished rim is chill. I prefer both narrow for the dainty look.

So what's the gear inch range? Seeing how you make bikes this one should ride smooth as an otter.

Kinda getting sidetracked atm with adding G-Matrix overlays with Garmin VIRB edit for video docs.

Have fun getting dirty, don't get hurt.

LukeTheJoker and Chad T like this.
  15. KJV

KJV

:cool2: 1994-Fender-Telecaster-40th-Anniversary-Aluminum-Rare-Electric-Guitar-wOHSC-USA-262907831560-3.jpg ,
    I truly: want to take: that trike,, for a cruise.:thumbsup:

LukeTheJoker and Chad T like this.
  16. Chad T

Chad T

First time trying this so we'll see. Rear will be the 40mm rim with 2.1 tire.

Had to look that up. Not sure what the front ring will be yet but the cassette I've got coming is 11-25. Would like to use a 42 or 44 front ring looks like a 42 would be 34-77 gear inches?

Gotta get the bike so I can see how big of a ring can be stuffed under the '68 wing tip guard.

cg.jpg

Now that's some nice purple! You missed your chance to ride the trike. Gonna take it into work tomorrow. It's a blast to ride!

Scribble, KJV, LukeTheJoker and 2 others like this.
  17. OddJob

OddJob

Wow, that package delivery shot! Did your wife include a caption with her text? "Ho, Ho, HO! Merry Christmas!"

Looks like you'll be doing some 'fiddling' of your own this week.

Chad T and LukeTheJoker like this.
  18. KJV

KJV

[QUOTE="Chad T, post:
    Now that's some nice purple! You missed your chance to ride the trike. Gonna take it into work tomorrow. It's a blast to ride![/QUOTE]

Snooze & lose .:arghh:

We all know: I not going..
    to a place ,called ''work" ;
    Not even to : ride a trike.:21:

19. hamppea

hamppea

Just tried to break the anodize direct using my rim to rim method. Not gonna happen! Gotta go under 80 grit and that causes deep scratching. The good thing is that the rims hold together very well with just tape. Enough to stop a drill and hold in place! For fine sanding and polishing it's a win :thumbsup:
    Chemical first, then spin...

Chad T likes this.
  20. Chad T

Chad T

The caption was actually "OK this is getting out of hand"....:21:...she put a smiley after though so it's all good.

I hear you there. Work is no fun but it's a lot better with a trike..:thumbsup:

So you're attaching a hoop to the wheel on the drill. That makes sense. Anodizing is tough to sand through as it hardens the alum. Keep that oven cleaner wet! Just keep going back and spraying it, flipping it over etc. Wear rubber gloves!

Was just working on polishing the sides of the front rim today. Just wanted to take down the rough braking surface.

frim1.jpg

My usual routine is: rough sand.

frim2.jpg

wet sand

frim3.jpg

machine polish.

frim4.jpg

hand polish.

frim5.jpg

Did all that because the front tire showed up.

frim6.jpg

Should look good with the back rim with a wide tire....back rim showed up too.

frim8.jpg

Lots of work to do on that one.....but there's plenty of time...hopefully the bike shows up here one of these days..:p