700c tire recommendations

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Hi fellow bikees, I am having troubles with flats on road bikes. To date mona corsa kevlars are the best, which isn't good! A flat ever 35-40 miles.
Maybe I expect to much!
Anybody ran Gatorskins?
Or better, what are you running in the skinny tire variety, under 28c.???
Thanks for any input.
Mike

Get some tire liners and use whatever tires you like.
I ran Bontrager select invert tires for a couple years with no flats thanks to the liners I was running.

Thanks, I guess I didn't think about liners.
Where I live beer bottle tossing appears to be a driving sport! I know, scary right! Anyway, glass everywhere, sand spurs, all manner of pot holes, and whatever else can be left on the road, which the city does not sweep. No bike paths, but that'd just be a beer bottle target!
Anyone else have good luck with skinnies?

God gives us what we need right!
Today while at Big Daddy's, a guy comes with a Tracker girls m.t.b., and a handfull of tires. 7 good 700s :) I put a pair of Vittoria's Zaff 28 tires on my Zaskar, that'll prove them out fast.
For my cafe bike I am going to try a pair of Specialized Roubaix 700 x 23, but waiting for some liners. Which I need to order......anyone have a brand preferences, and why???

Glad you came into some 700c's in widths you were interested in. Let us know how they hold up. I have no experience with the narrower 700's. All I run are the wider varieties such as 700 x 40c. So far I have never had any flats with them but I don't ride anywhere near as much as you do. One pair of 40's I am running now are on my Schwinn Searcher and they are the original Taiwan manufactured Kenda gum-walls from 1999. Failure is bound to happen eventually.

Last edited:
Today I went on a 15 miler before the sun, so basically I rode in Braille.
Took my Zaskar fitted with the Vittoria zaffird 700 x 28s. Very nice riding skinny, grip was ok in wet grass.
20140714_052242_zps1fee57d7.jpg

No problems, fast and good grip.

I rocked 700x25 panaracer ribmos and loved them to death. Put about 600 miles on them. Lasted pretty long even when I was doing fixie skids. Great wet weather and light snow traction.

Today I went on a 15 miler before the sun, so basically I rode in Braille.
Took my Zaskar fitted with the Vittoria zaffird 700 x 28s. Very nice riding skinny, grip was ok in wet grass.
20140714_052242_zps1fee57d7.jpg

No problems, fast and good grip.
Riding along, yesterday and pffft! Tube ripped out at the valve stem. Cheap tube!

Dang, you're going to have engineer some skinny kevlar tanks treads if this continues on through the rest of the year. Tubes are my biggest problem with flats. So far older tubes have been my issue, little pinch flats and one rupture rip. I'm thankful they have always waited to go flat while at home. The one rupture this year occurred while putting my Schwinn Heavy Duti together. Bike was just sitting upside down on the deck and then pop shhhhhhh. That tube had held good PSI in a Maxxis 1.95 tire for a year on the donor bike. Used the same rim and tube on the Heavy Duti but I guess the tube didn't care much for the wider and larger diameter 2.25.

I have had great luck with the Schwalbe Marathon plus tires. Very tough,you can feel the heft when you go to mount them.Very thick tough rubber,they roll with ease too.

Thanks for the input, I don't have a good source for Schwalbe tires...
But I do have a good source for others!
Vittoria is what I have had the bestuck with. First I rode a set of Corrsa evo until the tread started chunking out. Now I have a set of bigger evo's, they ride better as far as traction, but are little bouncy.
Tried Specialized, not impressed.

The gator skins are good. I had one on the rear of a tour bike. Have you tried panaracer paselas? My tour bike currently has them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No I hadn't used a Panaracer since the 90s! But I will keep my eyes peeled for a set!
Guy had some 150 mile gatorskins for $25 on Craigslist, but by the time I called they were gone.
I rode rain last night, wow are the Corsa's hard rubber!

I would suggest bontrager race lite hardcase, when I lived in London I ran these on my dawes galaxy tour and just cycled straight through any broken glass etc, due to swerving being risky. Once every few weeks I would just flip my bike and pick all of the glass out with a small screwdriver, as far as i recall I never got a puncture.
http://road.cc/content/review/8825-bontrager-race-lite-hardcase-700x25c-tyre

continental ultra rolls for ever and are very durable if you dont skid with it ..
Continental_ultra_sport_23-622_piros_kevlar_bikepont.jpg

If you do skid and ride crazy i strongly recommend the Thickslicks , they truly are made to endure skids and gravel roads (bullet proof slicks)
images

but both these options are total slick tires and not the cheapest

Last edited:
Doing a lot of urban riding I have found the best tires for me has been the Victoria's ride quaties is very good. But I set of Kendas on my Trek 1500 700 x 25 they seem to be OK too. My other bikes have Michelin's on them and These tires are very good too.

Latest posts

Back