#71 the snake UPDATE #1 to spring or not to spring?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've finally decided to join the madness! and I'm going to go in a bit of a different direction than I usually do.

While my flickr loads my build base and donor's, I'll add a bit of inspiration and a hint on what's to come

7435447582_f4438e2e1d.jpg

Take that, and fasforward 40 years. In a swamp. :D

here's my base, it's some kind of a columbia that my grandpa have me before he died, and on the old rear fender (rusted away) it had stenciling that read "snake", with the s maid to look like a reared up cobra!. I chose the number 71 because that's how old grandpa was when he gave me the bike.
7435517420_385a33f7ce.jpg

Got this womens spaceliner for free, maybe a donor for a part? Can anyone make a guess?
7435523010_d3a657be14.jpg

Just now I have made the first cut...on a spare fender! I bobbed it off and I borrowed the rear reflector off my 48 monark, I don't think it'll mind!

7435525752_296ccd9350.jpg

I paid 5$ for this ladies monark thunderbird, its not doing much so by by tank, hello faux oil tank! (If I can get it off the frame, allredy broke two screwdrivers!)

7435529216_4ff6d25876.jpg

And here's my little, drafty workshop.

Re: #71 the snake

I've recently discovered that my "unique" idea has been used quite a few times already, so I need to fire up the tablesaw and make a few dado's.
7435514418_678e9baf2f.jpg

Solid white oak, a secret thing coming up, its also going to be woodburned with the snake logo and the number. Then stained.

Welcome to BO7.
This is definitely the year for wooden tanks.

dragnusa said:
kingfish254 said:
Welcome to BO7.
This is definitely the year for wooden tanks.
Ahh come on kingfish what gives you that idea lol

I think there is a homicidal lumberjack bunny on the loose!!!

lumberjack324.jpg

charliechaindrive said:
The bunny needs this saw! (got it for a dollar and it runs!)
7436455596_4262e136c2.jpg

WOW!!! Even if its not connected to run your bike, you have to find a way to incorporate that into your build!!!

I think it might find it's way into the completion picture, if it don't make me go deaf before then! And my dad has a bigger gear driven saw, it's a david-bradley three sixty. Don't got it running yet, but it's 180cc's!

Man you hit the ground running! Great start! You passed slackers on page 2 already. Welcome to the Jungle! Peace

Jake Sensi said:
Man you hit the ground running! Great start! You passed slackers on page 2 already. Welcome to the Jungle! Peace

Slackers don't start until page 3. :mrgreen:

:mrgreen: thanks! But I've kinda hit a wall on collecting parts for the build, my motorized bicycle decided to spit a piston today so I can't go to my source for parts. I'm "land locked" at my house, though I could ride my mini bike there but it leaks oil and it's a slant motor so... No real way to accurately check the oil level and I do not want to toast that motor! And the delta light on the fender, has never had a battery sit in it more than a day. Grandpa always made shure he took it out. But I do have a spare light that's a fair bit more rat. Only it's alot newer, and made in japan. And I won't bring in a baby bunny for votes, but I can't guarantee that I won't drag in a chainsaw or a mini bike or two... :wink:

Re: #71 the snake update #1 we have speeds!

I'm still in town, and I've gotten the parts for my sturmy archer 3 speed. So, I've got an idea for the shifter. At this point, I've spent $34.50 on the snake. (sturmy parts are expensive!)

When I get home, expect some updates and frustration when I try to lace a wheel. I'm building!

Charlie

HA!! That's a good one. I'm Buildin'!! Peace

BLEGH I can't re lace my wheel. Good thing I have an extra sturmy laced to a rim. Only problem is, it's in one of those wonky 1¾ tire sizes. So, I might half to run a skinny in back, but a big up front. (Vintage or new? Hmm)

Shifter is coming along nicely, I'll get pics in a moment. I half to go, I've got a sparrow in my garage again! (Yes, I did move my computer t my shed just forthis project!)

charliechaindrive said:
BLEGH I can't re lace my wheel. Good thing I have an extra sturmy laced to a rim. Only problem is, it's in one of those wonky 1¾ tire sizes. So, I might half to run a skinny in back, but a big up front. (Vintage or new? Hmm)

Shifter is coming along nicely, I'll get pics in a moment. I half to go, I've got a sparrow in my garage again! (Yes, I did move my computer t my shed just forthis project!)

Is it an African or European Sparrow? And what is the velocity of an unladen Sparrow?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2R3FvS4xr4

:D

The velocity is one fishing net! I got him out of the shed a while ago. And I've got my shifter all hooked up. My dad gave me a glass doorknob to use as a shift knob, haven't seen that on a bike yet! (I'm too lazy to put up a pic now, just got done with an all you can eat shrimp dinner in town :D )

charliechaindrive said:
The velocity is one fishing net! I got him out of the shed a while ago. And I've got my shifter all hooked up. My dad gave me a glass doorknob to use as a shift knob, haven't seen that on a bike yet! (I'm too lazy to put up a pic now, just got done with an all you can eat shrimp dinner in town :D )

Cool idea with the glass knob shifter.

All you can eat shrimp has been pretty common for me in Savannah. You can go out and catch a 48 quart cooler full at one time after work with nothing but a cast net. Still loves me some shrimps after all these years!!!!!

Latest posts

Back