#71 the snake UPDATE #1 to spring or not to spring?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: #71 the snake

:shock: that's alot of shrimp! The only things in minnesota you can catch like that are colds, and mosquitoes :D and on the snake, I have found some really old aluminum sheeting out in the scrapyard, so I will try to think of what I can attempt to make with it! Possibly some fender skirts? Wheel disks? A whole streamliner shell? I've got enough aluminum, so wish me luck, I'll wear thick gloves!

I'm.buildin'

Charlie

Well, I had to junk the aluminum and I took the snake for a quick ride today, and it feels like something's missing. Here's another inspiration pic I've found, maybe I'll end up there some day? :D
Munro4.jpg

Okay, got my shift lever made up. It's copper so time to polish! Here's a pic of my glass doorknob set.
glass-door-knob-11.jpg

Hey "brother"! :D Cool build, that's a nice frame for sure :wink:

I watched the World's Fastest Indian last night...great movie!! :D

I know right? Great frame :D but I've got chrome forged forks, so
:p :arrow: :)

I might have another trick up my sleeve for this, possible update by noonish. Thanks for the positive feedback!

Well, I'm almost "done", but I still need to find a cool enough chainring for it. I removed the glass doorknob temporarily, because the thing is probably pre war itself! The copper shift shaft® needs to be polished yet, and I decided not to use any parts off of the spaceliner, because I might be selling it.
7455515466_3aecf321a8.jpg

And on a side note, even though I'm selling m collection of bikes, I bought a orange krate carcasse today and might get a roadmaster luxury liner. :D

Interesting seat tank idea. Never seen that !!!!
You might want to consider getting some front rubber though. :p

That's my oil tank! :D and I'm still trying to figure out if I want to spurge on a new rear rim and a set of bontragger (spelling) hanks. And it's not giving off the salt flats look I was going for, so I have a remedy for that. I just got a orange krate carcass today that probably the only salvageable thing is the frame... But it's got a 45° seatpost I can swipe, after I grind some seagull dropping's off.

And a question, couldn't I just try to swap the rims but keep the spokes? Would they swap from a 1¾ to the regular 2.125 rim? Or would I just be in for a headache?

charliechaindrive said:
And a question, couldn't I just try to swap the rims but keep the spokes? Would they swap from a 1¾ to the regular 2.125 rim? Or would I just be in for a headache?

Hmmm, good question. First, do the rims have the same number of holes? Hang both rims on a bar next to each other and see if the inside diameter is the same. I think if the answer is yes and yes, then you are probably a go.

QUALIFIER - I haven't laced a rim since I was a kid on my Screamer 2, so someone else more experience should answer.

The redline Hanks are awesome tires. I got mine for half price from the LBS via a Groupon.

Sweet! I'll drive a nail in the wall tomorrow and check that! (I need more storage space anyway) and I've stumbled upon a 68 orange krate 5 speed! Woot! & thanks for the kudos on the shifter. My dad did the same thing on a knucklehead bobber he h ad back in the 70' s.

(off to groupon!)

charliechaindrive said:
Sweet! I'll drive a nail in the wall tomorrow and check that! (I need more storage space anyway) and I've stumbled upon a 68 orange krate 5 speed! Woot! & thanks for the kudos on the shifter. My dad did the same thing on a knucklehead bobber he h ad back in the 70' s.

(off to groupon!)

If I were you I would use a broom handle laying arcross a couple of ladders first. You want the rims to hanging straight down and not angled up like they would be on a nail.

My groupon was for a local LBS last year.
Also last year, with my BO6 bike BEER RUN, I first got free entry and free beer to the Savannah Craft Brew Fest and they used my beer bike as a prop, then that night I rode it in our bike campaign fundraiser and won best lights and best costume which earned me $200 in gift certs to another LBS. I bought a set of creme Fat Franks and a 5 Speed Stingray with the certs and made a enough profit on the Stingray so that the Franks were doubly free. I'll have to light up Flex-Liner 7 and get a costume again this year. Once you drink enough free beer, it's easy to not be embarassed that you are wearing a foam beer can.

I had an idea for a cool fork, but my dad says it might not work well. He says that the wheel would pivot to the left and right, but I don't think it would effect anything. I've got that hub in the picture to hold the bottoms of the little hydraulics onto the dropout's. Nothing is welded yet, so just asking opinions on if this would work, or not? Thanks!
7487425888_ce8f491b51.jpg

But if it don't work for the front forks, it might get grafted onto the rear
7487470672_0c49550d84.jpg

I think he may be right. Each side could compress at different degrees and you wheel would be cockeyed.
I may be totally wrong though.

kingfish254 said:
I think he may be right. Each side could compress at different degrees and you wheel would be cockeyed.
I may be totally wrong though.
that maybe true but if you can tie both together it may work

bike2112 said:
If you have the time and the coin, use a 20mm thru axle from a downhill mountainbike. The axle will eliminate the independent shock flexing, but you will need each fork dropout to be at least 5 ot 10 mm wide or it will still flex.
No, don't have enough cash for that. :D

These are just my spare forks, so I think I might get them welded up over the 4th o july weekend, and test them out. If they don't work well, they'd just be wall hangers. If they work marginally well, they're going onto the snake.

Latest posts

Back