76 Mongoose

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just came across this the other day. ROUGH. Top tube is fried. It looks liek the top tube was underwater for 20 years. Weird. Seatpost is likely stuck forever and the seat mast is cracked in three places.....oh well. Still cool. These dont come up very often.

Drill a hole in your alloy seat post put a bolt & nut snugly/ tightly in the hole of the alloy seat post.. pt blaster the seat tube a few times wait a week .. Secure the frame on wood use a Air Chisel on the bolt. The seat post should free up . If not I have a more drastic plan if you want the post out .. I hope this helps.

Last edited:
I'd like to get the post out but Im afraid I'll just break a chunk off the seat mast if I tamper with it too much....and with the top tube the way it is, I dont wanna mess it up even more.
(and I dont own an impact wrench!)

Didnt even think about a pad/moisture, but thats probably exactly what happened. I suppose I could just put another pad on it to cover it up.

John Severin out in Santa Ana, California could easily fix the top tube on the frame. He does a lot of repair work for folks on their vintage BMX bikes.

He's an amazing welder and one of the original fabricators for Gary Turner (GT) back in the 70s with a long history of welding in the bicycle industry.

http://truetorch.com

I'd like to get the post out but Im afraid I'll just break a chunk off the seat mast if I tamper with it too much....and with the top tube the way it is, I dont wanna mess it up even more.
(and I dont own an impact wrench!)

Didnt even think about a pad/moisture, but thats probably exactly what happened. I suppose I could just put another pad on it to cover it up.
I meant air chisel ..:crazy: Sorry about that .. I do understand about being afraid to do it on a Fragile situation frame..o_O

John Severin out in Santa Ana, California could easily fix the top tube on the frame. He does a lot of repair work for folks on their vintage BMX bikes.

He's an amazing welder and one of the original fabricators for Gary Turner (GT) back in the 70s with a long history of welding in the bicycle industry.

http://truetorch.com

Without getting into JS too deep, I just wanna point out that any competent framebuilder could replace that top tube for ya.

I think with the right sand blasting, and smoothing out with JB weld because you can powder over JB and epoxy primer powder coating then final powder coat you could save that top tube of course after you fix the cracks with a tig welder. Id like to try :crazy:

Latest posts

Back