79 mostly Schwinn cruiser

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I got it cheap, from a garage sale. serial broke down to a 79 Schwinn, don't know the model, it's been parted and pieced together by previous owner. It also came with a thick and heavy bad black paint job :( painted over a previous bad paint job, also painted over nuts and bolts, headset, setpoast, clamps, kickstand, you name it, also a lot of overspray on everything. On the plus side it has has a nexus 3 speed hub that I didn't even notice until a week later! Needs new seat (barely attached by a bolt), also needs new front brake current one hardly works, needs back brakes entirely since it's freewheel, need to replace weathered cracked tires, other than that it's rideable. My wish list is: seat, grips, tires, pedals, new caliper brakes front/back, nexus shifter setup, Schwinn badge and of course paint. Anybody have any idea on what model it originally was??? This one is going to be a rider, for me and the wife to go on rides together, it will also have the duty of hauling my young daughter around in a trailer carriage thing. I just got my wife a walmart cranbrook for Mother's day to ride on, nice bike for $84.00 shipped

dsc01248n.jpg

dsc01249z.jpg

dsc01253c.jpg

dsc01250gx.jpg

dsc01251d.jpg

dsc01252uv.jpg

dsc01254o.jpg

dsc01256i.jpg

dsc01258qr.jpg

removed rust and paint from things that weren't supposed to have it, it literally took an entire day, I redid the headset , bottom bracket, and hubs.

Made a rear brake plate adapter as chronicled here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=26692

dsc01291w.jpg

It now rides smooth, solid and straight, and best of all, it now stops! I also added a headlight, that's all I'm able to do until some parts come in

dsc01287o.jpg

dsc01288fv.jpg

dsc01289n.jpg

dsc01295pn.jpg

Here is the wife's $84.00 cranbrook, I sprung for a basket and bell

img0729xz.jpg

img0731ab.jpg

I got the shifter, cable and gripshift today in the mail, im still waiting for the shift rod which was ordered on the same day, but didn't arrive. I also have front brake, tires, seat and grips coming I was really hoping they'd have arrived this weekend, but no luck, I did receive my rear brake and headlight though, oh well it gave me time to work on other things for the bike

finally got some parts in, new bell crank, shifter and push rod for the 3 speed hub, got that working, new front caliper brakes, some old BMX brake levers, V-pull brake pads, new tires, new grips and new seat. Not sure if i like the tires yet, I think I'm just not used to them. Touched up the paint with a sharpie for photos, I haven't even cleaned it yet, just rust/paint removal and new parts, rides smooth and shifts great!

dsc01303s.jpg

dsc01302c.jpg

dsc01301dp.jpg

dsc01300vk.jpg

dsc01299fl.jpg

dsc01298ml.jpg

dsc01297x.jpg

Oh yes, having 3 speeds is very nice, especialy since I live up on a long incline in the foothills, leaving my house is always fast and fun, coming back home is not so fun. the cable positioning is temporary until I figure out how I want to route them, I'm only using 3 loose zip ties right now, I also need some new pedals, I might change the bike altogether, i'm thinking it be better suited as a klunker than it's current form, still thinking.....

Nice updates! I feel ya on the hills brother, I need a 3 (or more) speed coaster in bad way for my ride.
I'm liking the look, maybe get a repop tank painted black and red oxide primer to match the frame/tires/etc and route the cables through it?

Keep it going, keep it rollin'

Dr. T

Latest posts

Back