8-Ply

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All I can say is ............ BAAAD ...

I'm liking the new bars. It also looks way more comfortable to ride now. Speaking of riding, I want to ride this bike!

I have not been able to come up with a brake idea for the rear that looked good with the materials at hand. I decided to go with my original idea, which is to make the front wheel a coaster brake. So, after messing with it all day, some bracket fabbing, some tack welds, and a lot of cursing, I've got a working front brake.
IMG_3311_zps1k8m3hrh.jpg

IMG_3312_zpssllzzqh8.jpg

IMG_3314_zps9qlcr7qr.jpg

IMG_3315_zpsiel9gbm9.jpg

The question is, does it work well? Not really. The bike is so heavy, it kind of barely slows it down. I'm going with that for now, as this will mostly be for in town cruises, and not made to be a daily rider, but I may attack the rear brake issue later.

Be a pain to change it all now. Could've used a coaster hub at the transfer, like a trike and ran the rear end fixed.... hindsight...

Carl.

That brake sure does look cool though. It works well with the rest of the bike.
If you locked up the front brake, I don't think you have to worry about being flipped over.
And the bars are looking sweet too.

Maybe a combination of Carl's pic and this
irwell_brake.jpg

Since you're a Navy guy, you can always go with something like this.
antique_cast_iron_boat_anchor_swivel_rod_paint__rope_9_lbs_4_lgw.jpg

Yeah, I think that brake I posted actually pulls brake pads forward against the rim. Probably be cool on a big rim, could always weld in a disc brake, but I like the no cables look. Hmm, what about a mechanically activated disc brake?

Carl.

I bought the top of a lantern at a yard sale a year or so ago, thinking that I would use the white and red lights on it as a headlight/tail light combo. Since the lantern was 6V, it would be compatible with bike generators. Here's the lantern all diced up:
IMG_3317_zpswtvssxxf.jpg

IMG_3318_zpsbbwjcwbp.jpg

IMG_3319_zps6bpnni4u.jpg

IMG_3321_zpscdclyu1g.jpg

IMG_3323_zpsnyzxsdej.jpg

Dude that thing is over the top. But will it fit the bike rack on the prius? I loved the first bars but even me who loves low bars figured that wouldn't be too comfy. But for shows it would be killer

I bought the top of a lantern at a yard sale a year or so ago, thinking that I would use the white and red lights on it as a headlight/tail light combo. Since the lantern was 6V, it would be compatible with bike generators. Here's the lantern all diced up:
IMG_3317_zpswtvssxxf.jpg

IMG_3318_zpsbbwjcwbp.jpg

IMG_3319_zps6bpnni4u.jpg

IMG_3321_zpscdclyu1g.jpg

IMG_3323_zpsnyzxsdej.jpg
Lights are a nice addition...work well with the look. And that brake is crazy! Like the "6" ball (symbolism...?) and the chain drive looks cool in front.

Lights look good! I hope that dynamo does not take as much effort to work as the last one I rode with, every watt of power will be helpful when riding this awesome machine!

Luke.

I was worried about that, but so far, it seems that the bike is so heavy already, that the generator doesn't add to the effort.

A small detail. When I got to looking closely at the top of this lantern, I really liked the graphic. I wondered if there was a way to incorporate it onto the bike?
IMG_3324_zpss72hkr54.jpg

So I cut it into a plate, and tacked it on the bottom bracket. Why not?
IMG_3325_zps0liu1lzm.jpg

IMG_3326_zps7kmwc8qb.jpg

Latest posts

Back