80's Cruiser turning 50's Clone *FINISHED!!!* well sort of!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello RRB I finally decided to document the build on my Birth year Cruiser, My 1980 Schwinn. When I built this bike I wasn't a member of this awesome forum and my ONLY goal was to have a nice shinny chromed out cruiser with as many original parts as I could find and afford..lol.. This was the first bike I had built in over 15 years, and coming from a Lowrider backround, naturally I wanted something with hints of that style..

I started with a frame I found on my local Craigslist for $70.00.. I had no idea what a cantilever was going for and I really wanted to build a bike so I paid for it...lol..
local swapmeets, craigslist and Ebay provided the rest of the parts... Thanks to this bike, I now have the collection I have and searching for stuff online I found "RRB" :D

Being that this bike is from my birth year (and I had no idea of that when I bought it) and being my first build as an adult, it means alot to me..I love the style 50's bikes have So Ive decided to make it a 1950's Clone...stay tuned :D

Here is the frame when I picked it up from the seller
80Cruiser1.jpg

I sent it out to get sand blasted and when I got it back I primered then painted of course..lol..
WP_000403.jpg

WP_000406.jpg

I dont really have pics of any other progress but this is it when I finished it..."The first time"..haha
WP_000495.jpg

Here is another and more current shot, I had replaced the chainguard, seat, added a rear teardrop reflector, horn, and my infamous Fox Tail..
WP_001793.jpg

I recently added a tank, and thats really what the wheels in my head turning... so I bought a chainguard from Fuzzyktu to give it that Phantom look and Im now looking at getting the sprocket to match... I already have a late 50's springer I need to paint and chrome to replace the aftermarket springer I have now and I got a set of Repop Schwinn fenders (Front fender is installed and pictured)

The chaiguard before it got to me (Thank's Fuzzyktu)
photobucket-5684-1331720259396.jpg

and the sprocket Im thinking of going with
KGrHqJjoE9UbgeycIBPZjsuHLD60_12.jpg

Here is the bike as it stands at the moment...I will be paintting the grapphics on the Frame , tank and chainguard but not till I have all the parts ready to be installed..
Hope you guys like what Im doing with it :D
WP_002409.jpg

WP_002410.jpg

Re: "The Trolley Dodger" 80's Cruiser turning 50's Clone

Very very nice!!!

I'm digging the new seat. What are you going to do to tie it in more? I'm assuming you're gonna go blue and white for the main colors? Maybe a brown seperating pinstripe would set it all off.

I really like your way of thinking for all your bikes. This one too. Actually i'm trying to make a poor chinese one to look like a little bit more vintage. Not an easy task here especially on a budget.

Powder Keg said:
Very very nice!!!
Thank you :)

Xcruiser said:
Yeah man,that looks great,flat out classy!Dig those tails
Thanks Xcruiser, I'm hoping the changes will be good and should fit right in with my DX and Straightbars

ruddigger said:
I'm digging the new seat. What are you going to do to tie it in more? I'm assuming you're gonna go blue and white for the main colors? Maybe a brown seperating pinstripe would set it all off.
Thanks Ruddigger, yeah the colors are going to be Blue and white, Im not repainting the frame, Ill only be painting the white and color maching the tank and chainguard..as for pinstriping to seperate colors, Im still not sure what color I had thought red. black, or silver.. I love that seat and how it stands out on its own..people have told me the color resembles a baseball mitt which is great being that the color scheme is based on that of the LA Dodgers..

Mr. Kool said:
I really like your way of thinking for all your bikes. This one too. Actually i'm trying to make a poor chinese one to look like a little bit more vintage. Not an easy task here especially on a budget.
Thanks Mr. Kool, I appreciate the compliment!

SWEET BIKE BRO :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Awesome bike! What kind of paint did you use? I'm re-doing a bike and want it about that color.

outskirtscustoms said:
Awesome bike! What kind of paint did you use? I'm re-doing a bike and want it about that color.
The paint is PPG Automotive paint mixed in a single stage for me, the color Is from I believe a 2005 Honda Civic and its called Vivid blue pearl :)
hope that helps, and thanks for the compliment!! :mrgreen:

Re: "The Trolley Dodger" 80's Cruiser turning 50's Clone*UPDATE*

Hello RRB here goes a quick update, I found the Phantom sprocket I was looking for over the weekend at our Local Cycle swapmeet, I was pretty excited about it. Today I had a chance to drop it off as well as parts from a late 50's springer fork to my Chrome Platers and should have them ready in about a week or two.. Tomorrow Ill be dropping of the rest of the Springer along with Chainguard and Tank to my Sand Blaster to get stripped and ready for the actual paint I'll be using...stay tunned :D
temporary-37-1.jpg

Re: 80's Cruiser turning 50's Clone*PAINT UPDATE*

Well fellas heres another update. I'm still waiting on the parts to come back from the platers..so I finally had a chance to start paint on the rest of the fork, the tank and chainguard..

no sand blasting this time, figured Id stop being lazy and did it by hand..lol..
temporary-43.jpg

temporary-44.jpg

and here it is with its new color...cant wait to see it all together with all its freshly dipped parts
WP_002489.jpg

Here is the Tank with its new coat of paint
WP_002490.jpg

This Morning I took my time on the masking...and added the white
temporary-46.jpg

and here we are... nearing the final stages on my converision.. These still need to be pinstriped and Ill be adding graphics to the frame also...stay tunned..lol.. thanks for looking :)
temporary-45.jpg

Nice! I like that blue! Do you have a color nams/code and source (rattlecan or good stuff)?

brett4christ said:
Nice! I like that blue! Do you have a color nams/code and source (rattlecan or good stuff)?
The paint is actually both "the good stuff in a Rattle can"..lol..he color is Vivid Blue Pearl and its from a 2005 Honda Civic.. My paint shop mixes any PPG color I want in a single stage and puts it in a rattle can for me...the downside to that is it has to be used the same day...

Looks great! 8) Love your bikes :wink:

boybluela said:
Well fellas heres another update. I'm still waiting on the parts to come back from the platers..so I finally had a chance to start paint on the rest of the fork, the tank and chainguard..

no sand blasting this time, figured Id stop being lazy and did it by hand..lol..
temporary-43.jpg

temporary-44.jpg

and here it is with its new color...cant wait to see it all together with all its freshly dipped parts
WP_002489.jpg

Here is the Tank with its new coat of paint
WP_002490.jpg

This Morning I took my time on the masking...and added the white
temporary-46.jpg

and here we are... nearing the final stages on my converision.. These still need to be pinstriped and Ill be adding graphics to the frame also...stay tunned..lol.. thanks for looking :)
temporary-45.jpg

After I posted this I started working on the frame, and got the graphics done... Here are a few more pics

Finally paired the tank to the frame, I was afraid the color might be off, but the shop did and awesome job on the color match
temporary-47.jpg

temporary-48.jpg

and here is the frame :D
temporary-49.jpg

Hope you guys like it so far! :D

Re: 80's Cruiser turning 50's Clone*More PICS Added*

A great bike is becoming an EPIC bike!
This build reminds of the recent car trend of making new models that are reminiscent of past models only 'modernized'.

Keep up the artistry!

Cheers,
Dr. T

Re: 80's Cruiser turning 50's Clone*More PICS Added*

Great job, can't wait to see the finished product.
Kenny

Latest posts

Back