90's GT Arette hybrid

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
This was purchased by my late brother as a project about 2 years ago.
index.php
index.php

The cockpit was not my cup of tea as I have to sit upright. So I'm experimenting with different seat and bar combos.
DSCF7409.JPG
DSCF7410.JPG

Awesome! My 2nd Mtn Bike was a GT Tequesta, summer of 1988. Man, I wish I had that now.
Love GTs. (not mine below, but same model) If I had it now, I'd do the same you're doing, I dont like standing on my head anymore when riding.
gt teq.jpg

Last edited:
Did more on the bike today. Cleaned an old chrome stem and a set of Wald 803 City Riser Bars.
IMG_1770.JPG

The addition required new longer front and rear brake cables and housings,
IMG_1781.JPG

All set for the road. including mirror and bell.
IMG_1779.JPG

Lots of nicks and scratches, maybe I can find some matching paint.
IMG_1773.JPG
IMG_1774.JPG
IMG_1763.JPG

Ross (Viscount) seat is not final, but more comfortable that the stock GT seat.

Great Paint

gripshift makes me sad

Thanks it is pretty neat, my first GT. Sorry about the gripshifters - I knew that was coming. The shifters came on the bike. After I get a few miles on it I can upgrade them. :)

Great bike, I dig the accessories

sorry to hear about your brother's passing, I am sure that is rough

Thanks, I was with him when he got this bike at a swap a few years ago. It just was not comfortable for me to ride as he had it set up. I did not want to sell it or part it out without seeing if I could get it to fit me. He passed away in his sleep almost a year ago now, and it still makes me sad.

I gotta get one of those GT triangle frames someday. Like a Zaskar or something and do a burly street bruiser build. They go for some stupid money on eBay lately and I'd need at least a large frsme

Thanks, I was with him when he got this bike at a swap a few years ago. It just was not comfortable for me to ride as he had it set up. I did not want to sell it or part it out without seeing if I could get it to fit me. He passed away in his sleep almost a year ago now, and it still makes me sad.
I get it, man. My brother died more than 25 years ago, and i still think about him regularly, and sometimes it makes me a bit sad too. But i still have some projects that help me frame it up in a way that works for me
The bike looks like it is ready to ride, have fun on the road!

First 10 mi test ride. Totally without incident, except for the Rear derailleur gripshift. :arghh:
It became stuck in high gear! Some fiddleing with the cable where it is exposed with no housing lead to a loud crack. The shifter started working again but I don't trust it. 30 year old plastic bits feel very fragile now.

Awesome! My 2nd Mtn Bike was a GT Tequesta, summer of 1988. Man, I wish I had that now.
Love GTs. (not mine below, but same model) If I had it now, I'd do the same you're doing, I dont like standing on my head anymore when riding.
View attachment 134136
My Brother and college roommate both had the early/mid 90’s Tequesta’s. They hammered the crud out those poor bikes. The frame was the only thing left standing for both of them. I’m pretty sure they had to replace all the computer after less than a year riding Anadel State park everyday. Great bikes though!

Gripe-shift. Grrrr.
Stopping me from achieving my dreams, because I don't need to be looking for yet another set of vintage shifters.
View attachment 135528
WHYYYY GRIPE-SHIFT, WHYYYY?!!
Who cares! That bike is beeeching and it’s probably a higher end of gripe shift so it’ll work smooth yo! I liked it in the mid 90’s weight removal times.

Gripe-shift. Grrrr.
Stopping me from achieving my dreams, because I don't need to be looking for yet another set of vintage shifters.
View attachment 135528
WHYYYY GRIPE-SHIFT, WHYYYY?!!
Dude it has the bomb proof XT components! That’s the last rear derailleur you’ll ever buy! Those years! The mid 90’s! Get it!

Latest posts

Back