9ike Industries Presents: The 9mm

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Throwing my hat in the ring on this one. I was going to build this bike anyway but I bit of buildoff motivation never hurt anyone.

Started with an old Trek womans cruiser and a Physiofit hybrid bike of sorts.

DSC00475.jpg

DSC00476.jpg

DSC00477.jpg

Cut the rear off the Physiofit and stacked it on the rear of the Trek for a stretch and drop. This is an idea I saw in a pic on this site a while ago but havent seen anybody do it since. Really easy way to stretch and drop a bike.

Initia Mockup:

DSC00478.jpg

Prep and weld:

DSC00480.jpg

DSC00481.jpg

DSC00482.jpg

DSC00483.jpg

This is Excitebike welding on the bike. I also welded a bit but we take turns welding for practice. We also got a new welder for the shop that night we were both testing out
DSC00484.jpg

It works! lol
DSC00485.jpg

Bike with rear end buttoned up:

DSC00496.jpg

DSC00497.jpg

Im still planning on stretching the middle of the bike. I just havent decided on how. Maybe full fenders as well. Lots of decisions to make still. Its coming along nicely though.

maddybrook said:
thats a great idea...love how low it is...ready to see where seat and pedals will go...id like to attempt this one myself...

Its pretty easy if you have basic welding and cutting skills. The seat will go right where it is now in the stock Trek seat tube. I have to extend the frame in the middle to make room for the new bottom bracket setup. Hoping to finish the fab work in one or two more work sessions this week. Thanks for all the comments so far.

Welded a laid back seat post today. Feeling pretty sick so I didnt get to start the stretch like I wanted to but I'll have more time again Wednesday. So many ideas going through my head for the stretch. No clue what happens next....

ElChupacabra said:
This is Excitebike welding on the bike. I also welded a bit but we take turns welding for practice. We also got a new welder for the shop that night we were both testing out
DSC00484.jpg

i see where he got his name :lol: :lol:. musta been one of those night..."gotttta..laaay..down..but..muuust..keep....weeeeelding"

ElChupacabra said:
This is an idea I saw in a pic on this site a while ago but havent seen anybody do it since.
i remember that bike that had the rear stays welded on a 20'' boys. it had a slick on the back. i wish i could weld i would totally have been cruisin one just like it all summer. i like that you are using a womans cruiser. it has perfect lines for a burrito! cant wait to see where you go with this!

So I finally decided how I was going to finish this stretch. It was so simple but eluded me for a while until I fell asleep under a welding mask sitting on the couch staring at the bike.

Mockup:
DSC00498.jpg

DSC00499.jpg

Prep and weld the mid tube:
DSC00500.jpg

Better mockup with a potential crank postion:
DSC00501.jpg

I need to get some more welding done and sit on the bike to see if thats where I want the crank to go for a final position. I feel like its a little too far out still but I can always shorten the stretch. Bike is getting to be epic long. Id like to still have it be transportable on my hatch mounted bike rack. Could end up being too wide though. Whats the legal limit for how wide your vehicle can be with burrito mounted on the back horizontally? LOL....

Great project, very nice bike!!!
Can we see those last welds a little closer? I need references to weld mine! :mrgreen:

very cool! i like the original twist on the design! usually i see(and have done myself) just the rear triangle welded on and a new BB and thats it, but this takes it to a whole nother level! i think you need to add a curved tube from the new BB to the top of the seat tube, to complete the frame.

Yeah I havent made a decision on the continuation of the top tube from the new BB to the seat tube. I might cut a few bars and see what I like best. Running out of bikes I can cut up though.... lol.

Hang that burrito on end and just watch out for low overpasses. Oh yeah, the stretch is the best look. The longer the better. I really like where your going with this. And no sleeping under your welding hood. You'll wake up in the dark!

I see you clean where your going to weld. I guess i need to start
doing that. i burn right through it and keep going. good ideas
keep it up

cleaning the welding joints is a must. clean at least a good 3-5 inches around the site otherwise the heat of welding will set any paint in the area on fire. also welding through paint/rust/grime will not make a solid trusty weld.

Made progress last night. Welded in the stretch bottome tube and decided what I wanted for a top tube. I should have time to finish the welding this week. I was standing outside have a smoke at work when the most rad idea hit me like a bus. Thinking about building a custom rack for the rear that will go on the sides of the rear wheel and over the top. Hard to explain. But I think its going to work out awesome. I'll post pics soon... I know. Pics or STFU...

Latest posts

Back