__-~^^~-__ BERKSHIRE __-~^^~-__

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Here's my BONINE entry starting point.

It's a 30's Westfield-built, Berkshire-badged 28" wheel camel back. The frame was purchased here on RRB last year.

I'm doing a skinny tire build this year, probably because of the increasing popularity as of late on RRB. They appeal to me because most of my riding is done on modern 700x23c race bikes.

Here's the wonderful patina frame, fork and fenders. I will post close-ups of the decals and pinstripes that are still visible. I am hoping to clean the finish just enough to make those features pop, but not too much as to ruin the nice patina:

DSCN2020 by ijt64, on Flickr

here's the wheelset. ND hubs, remanufactured to as-new condition, with Schwalbe 28X1-1/2 Delta Cruisers:

DSCN2015 by ijt64, on Flickr

DSCN2018 by ijt64, on Flickr

DSCN2017 by ijt64, on Flickr

DSCN2016 by ijt64, on Flickr

That's it for now. I have a bunch more parts I purchased recently, that I will post pictures of soon.

Good luck everybody. Have fun.

Ian

Sweet frame and wheelset.

that front fender's duck tail is actually hand hammered by someone. Looks good from the side, nice and uniform. But from the front, it is dimpled and obviously done with a ball peen hammer. I kinda like that.

I should mention too, that I spend a lot of time in the Berkshires (small mountain range in northern Mass), mostly mountain climbing and snow shoeing in the winter, so the name of this bike was an instant liking for me, and part of the attraction. It was meant to be.

It's the wife's night off, but I managed to sneak to the garage while she was showering and look for parts

Bar choices and a possible chainguard I got from yeshoney

adejata4.jpg

re5aje6u.jpg

Maybe re-tap these for front wheel:

2a3ase6a.jpg

Seat choices:

3y2a8emy.jpg

u3yga9e4.jpg

Stem choices:

yqu8yty8.jpg

zevyqude.jpg

If it gets a kickstand maybe one of these:

be8e7y2u.jpg

7y4esuma.jpg

Will try to make these look better:

ybajetum.jpg

Why? Why not?

zu4ynuny.jpg

Cool light picked up recently here on RRB:

yje5aquz.jpg

Skippy:

a7agygy4.jpg

I like BMX cranks. They have a mechanical look with all the bolts:

jynade8u.jpg

uhategyr.jpg

je8uze6e.jpg

And last but not least, this NOS gem might end up on it. Maybe I'll make it look vintage:

a9ysyjy9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice group of parts, wheelset and especially the frame.

SO HOTT that you're keeping the rolling stock as 635s. I was nervous you'd put 700c wheels on there....

Looks like a great start. I vote "no" on the kickstand.

PS- Just don't look up what "Berkshire" means in Cockney rhyming slang.....

Last edited:
Thanks for replies guys.

808, I'm scared to know haha

Stole away to garage for ten minutes and cut a piece of reflector to fit in this file cabinet drawer label thing. It fits perfectly between two existing holes on fender and covers the middle one.
da8aru7u.jpg

sy6uqahe.jpg

3ataqyny.jpg

Latest posts

Back