A better way to remove 3-piece cranks?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like, seriously!!! It's just a joke!! I swear, it's the most barbaric thing that I've ever done -- swinging the rubber mallet like there is no tomorrow!!! Is there some sort of tool that I can use to remove 3-piece cranks? It's just such a pain. Is there a better way rather than removing the nut, oiling the bolt, and pounding the crank arm with a rubber mallet? Any help would me MUCH appreciated. Thanks! 8)

I got one like this it works great!!

f04703981a3196394de8bcc60942e33d50d80ecc_430x390.jpg

scrumblero said:
I got one like this it works great!!

f04703981a3196394de8bcc60942e33d50d80ecc_430x390.jpg
This is the only way, but a mallet can be handy in addition on some cranks.
Seriously. You're damaging them. :|

Does anyone know if you can get different sizes of the center part that screws into the crank?

I have one bike that the threaded part of the tool is too large for the crank arm threads.

deorman said:
Park CCP-1. :wink:

i like the ccp-1. it had standard japanese thread and TA thread on the 'flip side'.

i don't think it's made any more. check ebay maybe.

i believe current park pullers are single thread- one works on square taper spindles, the other has the same thread, but a larger end that won't wedge itself into an octalink spindle if you forget an adapter plug.

old stronglight cranks use yet another thread- that tool might be tricky to hunt down.

even a good puller is inexpensive.

whatever one you get, thread it in to the arm SECURELY before turning the handle.... :wink:

There were three sizes in the olden days, Campagnolo (standard), TA, and Stronglight. Only the standard size made it into the eighties and beyond.

c.p.odom said:
There were three sizes in the olden days, Campagnolo (standard), TA, and Stronglight. Only the standard size made it into the eighties and beyond.

I suppose between TA and Stronglight, TA squeaked out a few more years- on 80's Stumpjumpers, tandems, and custom touring rigs.......

And Stronglight finishes a distant third! :mrgreen:

Dave is spot on there, not only did TA make it to the 80's as an early choice for MTB gearing and always the go-to crank for Cyclo Tourist, but they are still in production. Near the end of Stronglight's production they switched to a standard crank puller, TA still uses their proprietary size.

Latest posts

Back