A bike for the wife-1950 Schwinn Hollywood

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I bought a bent up 1950 Schwinn to fix up for my wife.
0718071612.jpg

Put a 3 spd Nexus on it but and all I needed was a new crank that was not bent to get it riding.

0930070844.jpg

So I answered a CL ad that sounded like just a bunch of parts for old Schwin's. There were no pics in the ad but went over to look for some parts. This is what I found and purchased. Newer paint, some repop parts, working light, horn. Score..... New bike finding code: Dumb Luck.

0930071251.jpg

0930071251a.jpg

So parted the 3 speed wheel of the blue one and my wife now has a beautifull bike.
0930071409.jpg

0930071409b.jpg

The only thing is the springer seems to be rake out far and the bike sits pretty low. Played with the spring tension but not much better.

Hooch said:
maybe the lower fork mounting bracket is backwards
I think it goes behind the centerline of the steertube
been awhile since i seen one up close to remember

I thought of that too. The lowered ride is subtle but I would like to change it back. Hopefully someone else will confirm this.

I forgot to post that it is a May 1950 bike also.

Thanks for the pic. I looked in the catalog from that year and I found the same. Shouldn't be hard to fix. Don't know the specific model as the the Hollywood didn't have the springer. Maybe an upgrade originally or when it was restored.

The bike w/3spd cost about half of a new 3spd Electra!!!!!

hi, the post tube is backwards. schwinn didnt make a hollywood with the fenders like this bike, its a mate to a boys autocycle. only top of the line bikes had the fender with built in headlight and flares on both front and rear. nice bike and its worth a bunch. if the serial number is on the bottom bracket it is 1948-52 if its on the left rear stay its 1953-55 post the serial number and i will tell you what year it is. bob

Gold- It is a May 1950. I flipped steer tube around and it sits much better.

I still think it may be the Hollywood w/upgraded fork. Which looks to be the mate to the Autocycle.
http://www.trfindley.com/flschwinn_1941 ... 50_06.html

Thanks for the comments. My wife was asking me the other day when I was going to build a "nice" bike with paint and all. Good thing this fell into my lap

my mistake i didnt realize the hollywood had the headlite. i could be the Hollywood. Very hard to find one of those especially in that condition. Gr8 find. Bob Keep it nice it will be a great family heirloom.

Man, you better check the bottom of your shoes, cause you definetly stepped in something on the way to pick up the"parts".

Thanks for the comments....

I even have her talked into selling her Electra Coaster 7. More bike money for me!!!!!

Latest posts

Back