A bike I would love, but could never afford...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rat Rod

Owner & Founder
Reaction score
A 1981 GT 26

gt26pads_lg.jpg

gt26nopads_lg.jpg

ACD said:
Please enlighten the idiot... why are these vintage BMX bikes worth so much? There is a GT on Maine Craigslist right now or NH..Can't remember for $10,000 What makes them so desireable?

Aaron
I'm not the expert, but I'd that that it's because not to many were made, even less were not roughed up, they're of a high quality and were expensive at the time so generally you couldn't afford them as a kid so they're just that much more desirable now.

yup, the "kid" grows up and some have that much money to throw at the bike they never had (or did have and got rid of wishin they still had it, or got stolen, etc....)

ive found the golden rule for bicycles is - its only worth what someone will pay for it.

can also be applied for classic cars and other collectible stuff too :wink:

My thoughts exactly... all my toys combined including the wifes Grand Cherokee aren't worth $10,000

If anyones interested: I'll sell my 82 Diamondback for half the price!(today only)LOL. Thats just DUMB! L8

I will show you guys a few Friends Collections when I can take a Shot of a Few.

and I do believe he has a 26 GT Rat Rod :wink:

but as stated..most where Ridin Hard,
and used well.
as well..not That Many where Produced..so they are sought after in
good Condition,

But..believe me you!
a 26 BMX is a BLAST to Ride.

ACD said:
Please enlighten the idiot... why are these vintage BMX bikes worth so much? There is a GT on NH Craigslist for $10,000 http://nh.craigslist.org/bik/402870922.html What makes them so desireable?

Aaron

That my Friend is a Typo!
he is Probably asking $100.00 for it.
That's definatly Wrong!

it's not a Vintage BMX....

this is the Real makoy...
http://cgi.ebay.com/CW-RACING-26-CRUISE ... dZViewItem

and this..
:shock: :shock: :shock:

http://cgi.ebay.com/HUTCH-XL24-cruiser- ... dZViewItem

Yeah....the prices are silly, but like everyone says....finding a clean bike that hasn't been beat to death is hard to find.

For me, the 80s were prime bike riding days. I was between the age of 10 and 15 and my friends and I lived on our bikes. We lived in an area where you had trails to ride and woods to cruise through.

Back then we had a local bike shop that carried a full line of Redline, GT and Hutch bikes and it was within riding distance of our neighborhood.

My friends and I were stuck with the usual fair of Huffys and Murrays so getting one of the bike store BMX bikes was never a reality. Of course, we were lazy kids too so working to save for one of these bikes wasn't a reality either, ha ha.

We used to go to the shop and just hang out and stare at those awesome chrome feather weight beauties with all of the anodized parts and the bright colored tires, checkered pads, etc.

Maybe one day I'll be able to find a nice chrome 80s model GT within to own and enjoy, but not at the prices that they are going for on Ebay.

I suppose since I am a bit older and went from musclebikes to a Yamaha I never really got into bmx bikes. we were about wheelie contests and longest skid marks :)
then when we switched to dirt it was dirt bikes and hill climbs!
then came fast cars and girls :)

The same...

Hooch said:
I suppose since I am a bit older and went from musclebikes to a Yamaha I never really got into bmx bikes. we were about wheelie contests and longest skid marks :)
then when we switched to dirt it was dirt bikes and hill climbs!
then came fast cars and girls :)

I'm the same...by the time there were 'store bought' BMXers I was into dirt bikes (motorcycles), then cars...In late 70's,early 80's chicks were not into guys on BMX bikes :wink: really...they liked to ride in cars (shallow, eh?) :mrgreen:

whoa! these prices are expensive. I have an all original (exception rims and pedals) GT Interceptor that my dad bought me in the late 80's-early 90's. I have it hanging on the garage wall now, but Im gonna hold onto that bike. Its soo much fun to ride. But having a pickup truck back out of his driveway and not see me coming down the street is the reason why my orginal wheels and pedals had to be replaced. He backed out too fast and I ended up running into his pickup. If it wasnt for quickly pulling the bike out from under the truck, the bike would be gone. I managed save the frame put the rear rim got crushed by the truck. Phew! Heres how it looks now, but by looking at some of these BMX prices... I hope this one will be worth something one day aswell.

MKG3KPCHSTATX1H.JPG

Clothespin "n" said:
Rat Rod,
a Friend of Mine is selling this,
I sat on it Yesterday..it's a Nice Bike Steve.
and Still for Sale.

Now THIS is a Well Priced BMX..
specially with all The Components he has Built it up with!

http://vancouver.craigslist.org/bik/389304386.html

WOW :shock:

Looks like a sweet deal alrighty...someone is going to get a good bike.

I had a chrome frame "Hawk" BMX bike that was a dept store knock off of the nice stuff, probably got it in 82 or 83, Most of the components were this freaky blue chrome, but the wheels were 5 spoke aluminum mags and were powdercoated blue. Had the top bar pads and all. Heavy as pig iron, but man, that was a cool bike. I spent every waking hour for about 3 years cruising our small town on that thing. I don't even have pics anymore....

Edit: I did a little research and I'm pretty sure it was an AMF Hawk with Lester mags - but not the normal angled ones. These were straight. All in all, Not worth a dime!!

Latest posts

Back