A Schwinn public service announcement...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Do NOT buy this is you want a functioning Schwinn Overload Tube for your 5-Speed bike:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/172280320623

This is just a hollow tube made to LOOK like an overload tube. I had a hilarious exchange with this seller...I asked if it has a spring in it like the originals. He replies that it has no spring, but they do "function" however. Well you see, without the spring it doesn't "function" at all.

I reply that it doesn't function without the spring, give a brief explanation of what it does for the bike, and that his would then be just for show. I get another reply that he has one on his Apple Krate and it "works" great. Again, it doesn't WORK without the spring.

Guy is too funny. He is determined to not say it is just a hollow tube that is for show. He's sold a few, hope you guys didn't buy one.

Last edited:
Interesting. Had seen these but real ones pop up fairly often, so never thought to bite. Glad I didn't; thanks for the heads-up.

furyus

I had a real Schwinn overload tube from a 68 Krate that I sold on ebay last year. The winning bid was $25 and this guy is selling repros that don't even look right for $50??????

Do NOT buy this is you want a functioning Schwinn Overload Tube for your 5-Speed bike:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/172280320623

This is just a hollow tube made to LOOK like an overload tube. I had a hilarious exchange with this seller...I asked if it has a spring in it like the originals. He replies that it has no spring, but they do "function" however. Well you see, without the spring it doesn't "function" at all.

I reply that it doesn't function without the spring, give a brief explanation of what it does for the bike, and that his would then be just for show. I get another reply that he has one on his Apple Krate and it "works" great. Again, it doesn't WORK without the spring.

Guy is too funny. He is determined to not say it is just a hollow tube that is for show. He's sold a few, hope you guys didn't buy one.
Then does that make these Underload Tubes? :21:

Not sure why it's machined witht he round bead 'crimps' . 50 bucks for a repop that looks wrong is nuts - here's a photo of a non-functional one I made for my 70 fenderless, not quite prefect but close, and minimal costs .

Latest posts

Back