"A Simple Plan" aka: The Poor Man's Budnitz

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
The Bike: ~2000-2004 Giant Simple Single

The Story: I was working on a bike for a friend who wanted a beach cruiser, and I found one cheap on CraigsList. As I was building it, I really fell in love with the clean frame design. I refurbished the one for my friend but I was determined to find one for myself and make a single speed city bike out of it.

The bike I refurbished for my friend:
Simple01.jpg

The Inspiration: Budnitz #1, I fell in love with the great style of these bike and the Giant reminded me so much of the same style, I just had to do my own take on it.
Budnitz+Bicycles+|+No.1+Titanium.jpg

The plan: I found another one for myself! So, now it begins.

This is how it I got it
Simple02.jpg

Simple03.jpg

A lot of work ahead.

The build: I had a lot of the parts already, stuff I saved if I thought it would be cool for a future project.

Chemical stripping the paint
Simple04.jpg

Polished the stem and changed the bars
Simple05.jpg

Polishing a crankset I have
Simple06.jpg

Done with the 220grit sanding on the frame
Simple07.jpg

I did a sample of what it will look like after the 400grit sanding and scotch bright pad, this will be the final finish
Simple08.jpg

and just a quick mockup, before much more sanding
Simple09.jpg

And that's where I'm at so far.

I do have a question, I'm not planning on using a chainguard so I'm not sure what to use the old braze on for, maybe a bottle opener, any other ideas?
Simple10.jpg

Last edited:
Nice and simple. I like those twin-bar Giants. Was that the stock stem? Is there a name on the stem as I have never seen one.

Yup I was gonna say light also, maybe a soma or something, as for the build, I too love the budnitz look and glad someone has started there own version, cant wait for the build up on this, just finish it with some quality accessories it looks quality already, maybe some thickslick tyres would also set it off.

Thanks for the comments! I like the Soma bullet light, slick! I'm also thinking of a u-lock mount, since I'm going to need to mount one anyway (this being a "city bike" and all). I was thinking of wooden fenders too, also a rack, but not sure I can find one clean enough to match the bike.

The mock up photo has the wheels I'll be using, 27" with coaster brake rear hub. That size also limits my tire choices, I went with some generics until I can track done something that looks better.

Nice and simple. I like those twin-bar Giants. Was that the stock stem? Is there a name on the stem as I have never seen one.

I checked the stem and it only has a date stamp and the max height markings. I looked in the catalogs and it only lists the stem as "aluminum" and it was on the 2002-2004 models.

Some great ideas! I don't mind $99 for the flat Woody's, I think they would look great on this bike.

I may forgo the rack and just carry a messenger bag. As for a lock, I just found the Shinola leather covered U-lock :drool: I might have to get a Kryptonite and wrap it myself.

Consider the dimpled aluminium fenders from velo orange also or ones off the electra ticino as they are a class act!

Consider the dimpled aluminium fenders from velo orange also or ones off the electra ticino as they are a class act!
Those hammered aluminium ones are very cool!

Luke.

Latest posts

Back