BO15 A Step-Through Time---Changing projects for build-off

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First (almost) complete, very colorful mock-up:
DSCN1273.JPG
DSCN1274.JPG
DSCN1275.JPG

Last edited:
looking cool. You need to change where your fender braces are mounted though or you fender is gonna bind on every springer compression. The braces need to attach to the non-moving part of the forks (there main rear legs). Currently you have the fender attached under the fork, but the braces mounted to the moving axle. That is gonna cause a problem.

Here is a pic of how it should be with the braces attached to the pivot bolts on the end of the rear stationary fork legs.

1594732456057.png

looking cool. You need to change where your fender braces are mounted though or you fender is gonna bind on every springer compression. The braces need to attach to the non-moving part of the forks (there main rear legs). Currently you have the fender attached under the fork, but the braces mounted to the moving axle. That is gonna cause a problem.

Here is a pic of how it should be with the braces attached to the pivot bolts on the end of the rear stationary fork legs.

View attachment 128969
Yea, I know. And you know that I like doing unrealistic mock-ups. I have the Monark fender, but it doesn't match the rear fender. So, I am going to use the correct fork, but I have to bend it back to straight. Muscle time!

Who can match the beige and maroon colors in enamel on my frame and sell it to me in aerosol cans? Is there such a company? Or does anyone think those beige and maroon colors go with the blue color? 3-tone Elgin???

I would like to find a local chain, so I could take the frame in to match the color exactly. Maybe Sherwin-Williams?

Yea, I know. And you know that I like doing unrealistic mock-ups. I have the Monark fender, but it doesn't match the rear fender. So, I am going to use the correct fork, but I have to bend it back to straight. Muscle time!

Yes, all is fair in mockups brother!!! Whatever it takes to hold something in place while you work your head around if it all works for your vision or not. Build on and keep having fun!!!

I was starting to lose interest in this build. My (correct) $5 forks for this bike were bent (like most are), so I was getting more and more discouraged. I was trying to consider some type of alternative fork, but that wasn't working either. I really wanted to keep the bike mostly stock. So, after all these years of bent forks, I finally figured out a way to straighten them. I have no vice or torch, so it took some critical thinking. My goal was to use stuff on hand, and to make it easy to accomplish. All I ended up using was a piece of pipe, a piece of wood, a straight edge, and a cinder block. I just made a bridge and stood on it. I let gravity do all the work. Jumped up and down a little and then I felt it bend. It actually over-bent on the first attempt. It worked that well. Had to flip it over and bend it back. No problems. Fine tuned it until it was straight. And it didn't hurt the threads at all! I'm am very pleased. On with the build!

This is the most complete mock-up so far. This is a rare SLOW build for me. A real test for my ten minute attention span. But those straight forks are beautiful! Glad I could keep the correct ones on this bike (with my amateur fork straightening method). So now, I cannot bring myself to paint any of the original paint parts (the frame, fenders, chainguard). I will have to paint the tank, and the fork will need repainted also (even though it is original paint). But I am going to try to make the 3-tone color scheme work aesthetically. What would be the best colors for the tank and the forks? The forks should probably be one (or both) of the frame colors. But I am thinking that the tank might look good with either the blue color with white pinstripes (to match the fenders and chainguard) or cream to match the fender skirts and tires. Or maybe even some kind of 2-tone paint treatment? I like the tan seat and grips matching each other. Still have to deal with the green rear wheel somehow. But this bike will actually be a 5-tone paint scheme: maroon, beige, blue, tan, and cream. Can I get away with such a bold mixed multi-color scheme??? I think I can, because none of the colors clash with each other in any way. They all work well with each other. I am liking it!
DSCN1368.JPG
DSCN1369.JPG
DSCN1370.JPG

Last edited:
Of all the bikes I have built. And with my wife showing no interest in any of them. Last night, out of nowhere, she starts talking about the aesthetics of this bike, and how the high bars don't flow with the lines of the bike. I think she actually likes this bike.

Of all the bikes I have built. And with my wife showing no interest in any of them. Last night, out of nowhere, she starts talking about the aesthetics of this bike, and how the high bars don't flow with the lines of the bike. I think she actually likes this bike.
Rule one: listen to the bike.
Rule two: listen to the wife.

*Rules are listed in alphabetical order. This may not be the order of importance.

Latest posts

Back