BO15 A Step-Through Time---Changing projects for build-off

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since this build is going SO SLOW, and I have no real end-product in mind, I have decided to change my entry bike for category #2. I will continue to progress with the Elgin, but it will take a lot longer than this build-off permits. Going to build it for my wife since this is the only bike she has shown any interest. Since my category #1 build bike (Homemade Shine) is very shiny, I am going to build another shiny bike to carry on the same theme in category #2. I have not completely decided on all of the particulars, but I have a basic idea of what I want the finished product to look like. Here is my new starting point: A late '36-early '37 Monark Silver King with a Monark-style springer fork. Still working on a name for this bike.
DSCN1385.JPG

Last edited:
It's always nice to have a back up frame and forks just in case. Even if it's just a run of the mill plain jane frame, it may wind up looking awesome after you finsh cutting it up and chopping or stretching it. :21:

I'm looking forward to seeing the finished product. Might need sunglasses as it looks very shiny already.

I guess if you need a backup plan, that frame will have to do in a pinch.

I guess if you need a backup plan, that frame will have to do in a pinch.
I just didn't want to re-paint those original paint parts. And I couldn't find original, correct color stuff in time. I am not happy about having to switch. I might just drop out of this category. Still haven't decided.

I just didn't want to re-paint those original paint parts. And I couldn't find original, correct color stuff in time. I am not happy about having to switch. I might just drop out of this category. Still haven't decided.

GO FOR IT!!!

Here it is with big black tires and chrome drop-center wheels. Looks better. It follows the theme more aesthetically. Don't know if I like this chainguard on this bike or not. Still no name yet.
DSCN1392.JPG
DSCN1391.JPG
DSCN1393.JPG
DSCN1394.JPG

Last edited:
The cream seems light on the silver. Would it be heresy to suggest a blue tire?
Those would look good, but I don't have any blue tires. I have red tires, but they are only 2.125 size. And look how small those 2.5 monsters look on this large bike! And they barely fit! Here's another clue: Now this bike matches my other build-off bike (Homemade Shine). Both all shades of gray. Method to my madness??? Photo Op???
DSCN1392.JPG
DSCN1259.JPG

Last edited:
The black and chrome looks much better on the Silver King, but I feel like the chain guard needs to match the straighter lines of the frame. That chain guard you've got on it now looks nice, but I don't think it's the right one for your bike. Do you have anything that sort of matches the shape of the tank area? That might help the design flow a little better.

I have to finish these things up or I will snooze and miss the finish date. Easy for me to do.
The black and chrome looks much better on the Silver King, but I feel like the chain guard needs to match the straighter lines of the frame. That chain guard you've got on it now looks nice, but I don't think it's the right one for your bike. Do you have anything that sort of matches the shape of the tank area? That might help the design flow a little better.
I completely agree. I have a whole pile of chainguards from which to choose. But I also think that I can make this one look right on this bike. Stay tuned!

Latest posts

Back