Abraham Linkage 1 1/8" fork on a 1" frame

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got an old Schwinn. Looking to put a Felt Abraham Linkage 1 1/8" springer on a 1" frame. Anybody ever do this? If so, how?

DSC03049-vi.jpg

This is my Murray " Monteray" 1981 made in USA frame on my Motorbike.
It would probably be easier to find an old Murray frame.I see them for $20-30 for a complete bike all the time.
The 1 1/8 threadless Origin 8 Pro headset is a drop-in on them.
If you are stuck on using the Schwinn,I have heard of reaming the top and bottom of the neck out to fit the headset.
It may get thin though.

GTX said:
DSC03049-vi.jpg

This is my Murray " Monteray" 1981 made in USA frame on my Motorbike.
It would probably be easier to find an old Murray frame.I see them for $20-30 for a complete bike all the time.
The 1 1/8 threadless Origin 8 Pro headset is a drop-in on them.
If you are stuck on using the Schwinn,I have heard of reaming the top and bottom of the neck out to fit the headset.
It may get thin though.

sounds good and easy
thanks
saved me unnecessary fab

Sometimes, if the cups are loose and depending on the make of bike/make of headset, you can get an 1 1/8" headset to press in.

Otherwise, I have used the stock cups, 1/8" bearings and random headset parts to make 1 1/8" forks fit the old cruisers.

Now, I use a headset facing tool with a 1 1/8" hone. There's usually enough material to do this, and then it's set up for 1 1/8" cups no problem. Most shops will have this tool.

Have fun!

This is my old Schwinn commuter. I had an 1 1/8" mountain fork on it.

DCP03077.jpg

Latest posts

Back