Adding a 5-speed stick to a repop gray ghost krate?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Anyone know if any mods would need to be made to use a Schwinn stickshifter on a repop 5-speed Krate with the Sturmey internal hub?

Ya may have to modify your wallet a little bit just for the price of a nice Schwinn stick shifter...

Other than that,the rest should be painless.

ive been thinking the same, I have an apple repop single speed and want to swap it to a 5 spd with an original rear s2 with 5spd and a stick shift. problem with the SA 5 spd internal hub is you'll have to find out if the OG shimano stick shift shifter has the same index as the SA hub or youll end up destroying the hub as it wont be fully in gears.

Make sure you can mount caliper brakes to it first.

Sometimes all the holes are gone.

The 5-speed gray ghost already has a caliper brake on the back and a drum brake on the front. With adding a 5-speed wheel to a single speed, what's a good way to widen the rear stays for the wheel?

Spread them wide and jam it in there.

Thats the way I do it.

(sorry mods for the inuendo) ^

Heres how I do it, some all thread, a couple o nuts and some washers. :wink:
100_2321.jpg

harquahalas said:
Wouldn't I want it to widen only on the gear side?
I don't think so. If you look at a 5 speed wheel the hub is off set in the rim. The spokes on the cog side go straighter toward the rim. The other side the spokes have more of a angle. If you measure both sides from the rim over the hub and back to the rim you will see what I mean. Or just look at the wheel and you can see the difference..lol I hope I didn't confuse you to much....lol So to answer your last question no you have to widen it equal.

Agree ^

Ive spread the legs with an axle in the past.

But they always seamed to want to spring back no matter how far I spread them.

my apple krate doesnt have a brace for brakes... i may have to get creative. ive always just pulled the drop outs apart and put the wheel in once its in there it wont go back :)

So im guessing the grey ghost repop frames are different from the other repop costers?
the 5 spd hub is a coaster brake and front wheel has a drum right?

All the repro Krates have "SCHWINN" logos on the top tube... that kinda stinks to cover up the factory writing with a shifter. Maybe it isn't an issue or it's getting repainted.

Coaster Ghost I rebuilt :
sforum71ghost1.jpg

68 Orange Krate, no top tube decal:
68ok8261.jpg

2007 Walmart BFK (note that these frames do have a caliper brake bridge in the rear frame):
bfnew16.jpg

The repro Ghosts (05-06) do not come with a front brake, and of course the big shifters remain outlawed. You can I believe fit the front Atom drum wheels to them easily... you'll probably need to buy or make the stud that threads into the fork leg to prevent the drum from rotating in the fork.

The shift lever itself should screw onto the frame just like an original. You'll want a thin piece of rubber to go under it, as originals had (It's always missing). The screws and some small parts are still available from Hyper-Formance but his stock has become severely limited- very bad for the Stingray hobby.

You'll want an overload tube, though the shifter will work fine without one- you just have to be careful to not damage the derailleur or anything because the long shifter lets you put lots of leverage on the cable.

Vintage wheels and hubs should fit and work properly. If the bike doesn't have a caliper mount, you might consider finding a 72-73 Krate Disk Brake wheel.... they're big $$ but they're out there.

--Rob

Okay, so if I get the Gray Ghost, I won't add a stick. I did get a 98 Apple Krate yesterday with a set of 71 5-speed Krate wheels with brake levers, NOS cables and derailleur. I can get an original Apple from a friend that's missing some parts and my original plan was to get this and use the parts from the repop to complete it. The original Apple has decent paint but I suspect was stolen at some point in it's life, the serial number has been filed off so there's a kind rough rusty spot there on the fork tube. If I get it I'll have to decide if I want to paint it. Thought about trying to add something to make a rear brake work (disc wheel too expensive) since the paint is so nice on the repop, but now that I have it I almost don't want to mess with it at all. It seems like such a nice bike. It would be really cool if I could find a Krate that was only missing wheels, derailleur and seat, then I could leave the repop Apple alone :D

Lol yeah im in the same boat as you... i recently got my apple krate repop and was wanting to switch it all over with the 5spd s2 slick derraileur etc I already have but I dont want to mess with it now that ive cruised it a few times :) I also got a repop apple frame on its way to me might save the parts for when I find an original krate or use them to build the frame into a 5spd stingray.

just build it its not hard to put brakes on a no brake brig frame. this one I did was a single speed typoon 20" schwinn
after spreading the rear end and some crative reuse of broken bike parts.
now its a 7 speed stingray with rear caliper brakes!

Copyoflowriderbikes003.jpg

lowriderbikes024.jpg

lowriderbikes021.jpg

lowriderbikes020.jpg

lowriderbikes015.jpg

I maid a brake adapter plate to mount my rear brake to the rear feender bracket mount. then use a broken front deralur to make my brake cable houseing stop bracket.
lowriderbikes013.jpg

Latest posts

Back