Air brush starter kits- recommendations?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been looking at air brush kits so i can learn, but i know little about them. So i'm wondering if anyone here has any recommendations on a starter kit. Thanks :)

I have two basic sets from Badger that have survived since I bought them in the '70s. I have never used an expensive Paasche, but they have a sterling reputation as a quality artist's tool. If you're just starting out, you might consider a budget set from Harbor Freight--they get surprisingly good reviews for a $20 item. You will still need to provide a hose and a source of air, which could be a compressor or canned propellant.

My wife is originally an medical illustrator. She swears by her Paasches.
She also use to use CO2 as her propellant because she would never have trouble with water getting into the lines from a compressor and it was a consistent pressure.
I remember her saying a lot of problems stem from people not keeping the equipment clean.

Are you planning to paint bikes or bike parts with the air brush? I've never used one but have wondered about them. Gary

Ive been airbrushing since the early 90s in high school. I started with a paasche single action and a dual action. In college, i bought an iwata eclipse dual action. Most recently, my son wanted to try his hand at airbrushing, so i bought one of the harbor freight dual actions. Of course i got to play with it first and i was quite impressed. So +1 what RustySprockets said about buying the hf airbrush. If you cant get a handle on it or decide airbrush isnt your thing, its no big loss.

I have the HF compressor I believe I paid $80 for the pump and a lesser Airbrush
than what these guys are talking about

You can paint anything you want. Large or small. Ive been commissioned to do things ranging from tshirts, helmets, murals, flames and scallops on cars, model cars, even details on girls finger nails. You can spray fine lines or broad areas. Ive tried a broad range of airbrushes. The hf airbrush is a good feeler. Its capable of putting out quality work. But like any new tool, you need to first learn how to use it properly. There are cheaper models, but their quality and their ability to produce acceptable work are most likely going to turn you off to airbrushing before you even get a chance to fully enjoy the hobby.

Btw the hf airbrush kit is $20 and a hose is $8. Throw in a couple of 20 percent off coupons and theyre just under $23. The biggest investment is the air source.

The biggest investment is the air source.

From everyone I've talked to, nothing beats a compressor...but....

When I was a kid and building lots of plastic models, the Badger airbrush company had a nifty brass adapter that you screwed onto the valve of an inflated spare auto tire, that then worked as an air source! It wasn't fantastic, but as I recall I could get about four times as much useable air from a tire as I could from one can of their propellant. (Since I lived three blocks from the old-school filling station and air hose, it wasn't a bad deal!)

Thirty years later, as I'm tinkering with bikes again, I found a ten year old airbrush in my garage. :) "If only I still had one of those adapter thingies...."

Turns out they still make them -- this just arrived in the mail yesterday!

Now I just need to find myself an old spare tire and I'm all set!

Again, it's NOT as good as a compressor, but it's an affordable option if someone is just starting to tinker with an airbrush kit, uses up the first (free) can of propellant and is still deciding if they like airbrushing or not.

Quick tip..... if you get a dual action airbrush, dont overwhelm yourself by trying to use the dual action mech right away. Learn the basics first. Adjust the brush to slightly mist the paint first, and gradually built up in color as if it were a single action (paint or no paint). Get the motion down. Then practice with stencils and shapes. Good practice is airbrushing a cube and a sphere on a sheet of paper using masking tape and stencils. Then try using the dual action.

I was in the market for a compressor and actually found a "decent" deal on Ebay. Got a "Nothing fancy" basic compressor w/ regulator, top feed dual action detail airbrush built in cup, small area bottom feed dual action w/ cup and jar (siphon feed I believe they're called), and a large area single action with two jars, and hose. I think I paid like a little over $100, everything and shipping included.

I use to do a lot of airbrush work with an array of brushes and a SILAIR compressor. The stuff I got on Ebay maybe isn't an Iwata or Paashe level airbrushs but they're easily on par with the Badger stuff I've owned. The compressor is definitely not on par with the SIL AIR or other more expensive compressors... but it functions OK. I do miss the SIL AIR, but it just kind'a died and I was tired of moving it with each relocation.

So basically, the Ebay packages will easily function for a beginner and at a price that's affordable... in fact here is a set like I got... with paint even:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-3-Airbr...868?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5af1332284

Yea OK, maybe if I was doing flame jobs on Harley's I might want to upgrade but for beginner stuff this set will work for you pretty well...

Latest posts

Back