Alright I'm in...UPDATE 11/14

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well I'm really diggin' the looks of these bikes, so I'm going to build my own. All I have so far is a frame (I thought I had a pic but I can't find it) an aluminum rear wheel with a 6 speed cassette, and a huge knobby gumwall that I love (unfortunately I only have 1) I have absolutely no money to spend (which is the way to do it right) so don't expect much from this build. I'm going to go parts scavenging the next few days to see what I can come up with, so I'll post updates when I get them.

Re: Alright I'm in...

Got some parts together today and started the first mockup. Frame is a Coast King, I believe its a Huffy made bike based on the original sprocket (Not the ones in the pics, thats from my Higgins) Found an awesome fork I didnt know I had also. I couldnt find a front aluminum rim so I ditched them it for a matching chrome set. 26x1.90 rear tire and 26x1.75 on front. Original rear fender will be bobbed. I originally had apes but I ditched them for the bars in the last pics. The riding position is very comfortable. Whatcha guys think??

The frame is missing one of the caps on the front bars, anyone got any ideas where I could get something like that?

1015081322-00.jpg

1015081604-01.jpg

1015081604-00.jpg

1015081605-00.jpg

Re: Alright I'm in...UPDATE 10/15 - Now with Pics!

Watching the old "Repack" footage quite a few guy had apehangers and some had BMX handlebars, the rest seemed to have motorcycle MX and ATV bars. Just some food for thought, as I saw you had some apes.

SkidMark said:
Watching the old "Repack" footage quite a few guy had apehangers and some had BMX handlebars, the rest seemed to have motorcycle MX and ATV bars. Just some food for thought, as I saw you had some apes.

Really? Thats pretty cool...I'll have to try and find some pics of that to see what it looks like.

Also got the hub and rims unlaced and all cleaned up, just need to build it now.

Today was my first time building a rim. It took 2 tries but I got it right, but the spokes I used were a little too long. Unfortunately they were the only chrome ones I had so I had to use a set of galvanized ones that I just stripped off a junk rim. This keeps the bike in the rat rod spirit and my total cost at $0. I doubt anyone will notice anyways. Just gotta true the rim up tomorrow and get it back on the bike. Its supposed to be 70 degrees here on thursday so I'm hoping to have it rideable by then!

Sturmey Archer 3 speed coaster, mounted on 1969 schwinn s-5 wheels off a breeze

2-14.jpg

Removed freewheel from my wheel to start stripping it

1-17.jpg

1-16.jpg

2-13.jpg

built with chrome spokes

3-11.jpg

redone with galvanized spokes

4-8.jpg

Re: Alright I'm in...UPDATE 10/29

Nice job lacing a wheel. Kinda of intimidating at first but well worth not having to pay someone else. Plus it gives you more options.

Re: Alright I'm in...UPDATE 10/29

Got the wheel trued and the hub put back together. Threw the tire and tube on and mounted the rear rim. Fits perfect and looks great. I have a sturmey grip shift or the regular thumb shift, not sure what I'm going to use yet.

Front brake will be removed.

1-21.jpg

2-17.jpg

Great job on the wheel. I find wheel building to be quite thereaupeutic ( did I spell that right) That frame has a real fighter jet vibe to it.

Latest posts

Back