AlumiNaughty: 1935 Wards Hawthorne Duralium, Finished!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now that's cool! Is that a real small gauge copper tubing? Really dig the look.

Yeah, refrigerator line

That does look cool and with the handlebars essentially part of the fork, the cables ‘turn’ with the fork, so little movement.

One question, I always thought that brake cable housings required some ‘compression’ (that’s why they are a spiraled wire vs shifter cables that are simply tubular.

Will these solid lines impact braking efficiency? Asking for a friend.....[emoji846]

I ran it first with just the copper part, since its solid, it provides enough resistance to the braking forces. I've since took the coating off some housing and it fits inside perfectly, it feels like a normal cable now.

Oh, and shifter cable fits inside the copper pipe perfectly ;-)

Last edited:
Little more progress made, shifter cable done.

20190709_195919.jpg
20190709_195935.jpg

Copper is pretty and easy to like. But from a design point of view this being your AlumNaughty, and already havng the reddish tires and grips, and the tool bag and the other copper accents... It is easy to get carried away and overdo it.
That tool bag might fit snuggly in the tank space though.

Copper is pretty and easy to like. But from a design point of view this being your AlumNaughty, and already havng the reddish tires and grips, and the tool bag and the other copper accents... It is easy to get carried away and overdo it.
That tool bag might fit snuggly in the tank space though.

I tried the bag there, just didn't seem like it "fit." I was thinking a pattern cut out of aluminum over a copper background, as an accent.

I tried the bag there, just didn't seem like it "fit." I was thinking a pattern cut out of aluminum over a copper background, as an accent.
Or, a copper sheet sandwiched between two louvered sheets of aluminum. That way just some copper would show through at an angle.
louvered panel.jpg

Freakin Awesome!

Latest posts

Back