Am I about to bend the rules to far?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My gut feel on this in the spirit of the rules is that the existing seatstay tubes should remain bolted to the bike. You can still bolt the new rear end to the same seattube junction and dropout junction, but the original seatstays should remain in place.

I’m in the middle with they should stay and it was made to be removed so I’m ok to replace them.
Go back and read the rules of the build off. Removing or adding a tab for brakes or chain guard is ok, but no major frame mods.
But if the frame is unboltable, then there's no fab or welding to remove or add to it.
The stays bolt on, then they can be removed with a wrench... it's a simple swap... class 1.
@Rat Rod check out this frame.

The intent of the rule seems clear to me...create a more level playing ground by not allowing 'pro level fabrication or welding' on the frame. Removing a bolted on stay and replacing it with a different bolted on stay isn't a frame modification using pro level fabrication or welding...it's good to go :thumbsup:.

Is it really any different than using a suspension frame and replacing the shock with a solid strut? I don't see why that wouldn't be okay in class 1 (I believe it has been done before). Bolt on drop out extensions have been done many times before, and some of them could be called pro level fabrication...but, anyone can bolt them on.

Don't have any qualms about your forks...it's frame modifications that are the issue. There have been a myraid of Girvins, girders, moped, bent, twisted, homemade, custom made, bought, borrowed, chopped, extended, shortened, widened, narrowed, smoothed, pointed, flipped, flopped, lit on fire...and the list goes on.

Last edited:
...And at least at this early stage in the build off I still have time to redesign my bike.

I think that Gypsy Queen is pushing the boundaries of the rules but hasn’t broken them.
In the end it's your bike regardless of the build-off. My opinion is that you should build what makes you happy within the confines of your own skills and resources. If it is determined that you should compete in one class or another should not stymie your creative vison. Have fun!

BTW (just for the record), it's seems to me that if you have the option to unbolt something and bolt something else back in it's place, it's fair game. Not much different than bolting on extended dropouts except that you have an extra option with that particular frame. JMO:)

I'm sure someone around here could get you one of those TRM jobs...:bigsmile:
I'm in Canada, I feel your shipping pains, only I'm so close to all the goods, I can nearly touch them...

Lol There’s no way I’d ever find one of them in Australia. I can’t even find a Lucky 7 seat post and to import one of them from America will cost me easy $100, so a tank like that would be to many $$$
:forum:o_O:comando:
Well now I've shipped a few around the globe in the past. It may not be as much as you think!
It's obviously more than in the US but sometimes it has suprised me. :)

I moved a build of mine out of Class 2 into Class 1, because I wasn't modifying the frame and to make room for a crazy idea I had for Class 2. But I usually jump in to Class 2 just on principle. I also feel if there is a question as to what I am doing then I should be in the open unlimited class. I feel like if you have to ask then you already know. Besides there's no real benefit to being in one class or the other. So I try to hang with the big dogs...

Carl.

My biggest concern was the fact that even though I’ll be putting bolt on items on my frame it changes the look of the bike completely and because of that factor does it break the rules. But after looking at some of the past winners bikes I’m not that worried anymore.
:thumbsup:

When comparing your build to previous years build off bikes, just make sure you are comparing apples to apples.
Build Off 1 through 7 was strictly one Class just like our current Traditional Class 1. (Apples)
Build Off 8 was the first year we had two Classes, Traditional Class 1 (Apples) and Anything Goes Class 2 (Oranges)
Build Off 9 through 13 had only one Class and it was just like our current Class 2 Anything Goes, so if you are looking at these years for examples remember that they didn't have to be built under the Class 1 Traditional rules. (Potentially Oranges depending on the build)
Build Off 14 to Present went back to the BO8 plan of two Classes (Traditional (Apples) and Anything Goes (Oranges))

For instance, this beauty and winner of BO12 could not be in Class 1 for BO16 :D

index.php

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back