Am I chasing a ghost??

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
63   0   0
Is there such a thing as a 28 hole 3-speed coaster hub? I was told that later Fair Lady's had them, but every F.L. I've seen has caliper brakes. My luck in finding one stinks and I'm running out of time. I'm to the point where I think I got my info wrong and they never made a 3-speed coaster in 28 hole. Am I chasing a ghost?

So S.A. makes them, and they are real. I did find one on Ebay, but it's way too expensive.

But thanks. I guess he'll be single speed for a while. If I find one at a reasonable price maybe I can build him a new wheel.

Pretty sure Sachs Torpedo had one too. They were used on the Sears Tote-Cycle.. 3-speed 20" coaster.

Another option would be a 2 speed Bendix manual or automatic. There seem to be quite a few of those around in 28 hole. Only 2 speeds instead of 3, but better than 1.

If you are looking for the least expensive, I would go with a Shimano 3 speed. I see there are some on evilbay for around $30. They are pretty rugged and seem to be very dependable.

CRASH said:
Well, after talking with the wife, I think we're goin got stick with single speed for his bike. By the time he's ready for gears, I'll get him something bigger.

But we were having so much fun :(

Latest posts

Back