am I to big for lay back seat post?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Schwinn Cruiser six frame that I turned into a clunker/commuter. Problem is, I keep bending seat posts. First one was straight, next one was lay back. I'm about 215lbs plus or minus and about 6'2" so I run the post tall. Should I make a solid post from aluminum bar stock? These frames have a funky 22.0 size seat tube.I like the relaxed feel of the lay back post....hate to give that up. Ideas?

Salad, yes and my morning oatmeal combo I've lost 12 lbs since Feb. But even if I get to 199lb ( my target ) That may be heavy enough to bend some of the less stout lay back posts. Would a drain pipe post be less apt to bend,since the seat is more or less still directly under the seat. I ain't jumping or racing, just cruising.

I got tired of bending seat posts so I went to ebay and bought 3' of 13/16" (Schwinn size) solid stainless steel rod. Cut it in two, then turned the ends on a lathe down to 5/8". A friend with a torch heated and bent them for me. A 500 lb. gorilla couldn't bend this post. Gary
DSC04417.jpg

How about a gusset or a diagonal brace. Both would fit right in with a clunker.

I am also around 220 and 6'3 ..I am looking for a lay back seat post ..I never have bent one even riding the fixie off road....what othe stock would work ...solid aluminum..I am looking for a 1 inch post right now but like the idea and might just make one

I think your main problem is the height you keep it at, sounds like too much leverage on the post if you've got it in at the minimum insertion mark. I'm 250 and don't have a problem but I'm only 6' and and good looking so that may have something to do with it :wink: Gary's seat post looks like a bomb proof solution though !!!

Sounds like you need a diagonal brace under the bend to help distribute the load, and make sure you have enough depth in the seatpost too! Aluminum with a bend I think is going to be a problem; I like Gary's choice of stock very much. Go find a local machine shop, they will have a bunch of turning stock on hand, ask for 'cut-offs' of the dia. you want. Maybe take along a bent one so they can sympathize with your plight.

You can make one cheap out of an old crank arm.looks kinda cool "klunkerie" CCR is right if its too high the leverage is gunna make it happen.I have never bent one. Oh ya and I'm 5'17 or 6'5" and 250 lbs. of "Screamin steel and sex appeal" !! :p :lol:

I'm 5' 10" 210 and I went to my local machine shop and had a 13/16 to 5/8 seat post made for my monark rocket and I'm in limbo to get ready to bend knowing it will work cause I sleeved my 63 Typoon to allow a 5/8 inch custom bent post I made from solid rod from Lowes. Good luck you wont have any problems.

I did two different things. I kept bending 5/8 posts so I went to the local fab shop and bought a piece of the toughest specification steel made. I don't remember what it was but it was cold rolled. That worked for the 5/8 post. For the old electro forged Schwinn seatpost I bought a Wald 940-10 1/2 seat post 13/16 to 7/8 - inch x 10.5 inches steel from Amazon. Cost $10. I then took a pice of black (or you could use galvanized water pipe) gas pipe and turned it down carefully on my bench grinder to be a very tight fit into the inside of the Wald seatpost. I Heated the Wald post and froze the black pipe in the freezer. I slathered JB Weld all over the black pipe (hard to do when it is so cold as it doesn't spread well). I then pounded the pipe inside the seatpost and let the JB Weld set up. There is also someone on this site that used to sell very strong replacement seatposts like you need, but I don't remember who it is?

Seconding the Sloweriderz posts. I'm 220 and the one I bought from him is rock solid.
I'll have to remember Sloweriderz. I made my posts before I saw his add. I weigh 155 and bent posts riding single track, that is until I made my own. He is asking only about half what my 5/8 cold rolled bar cost, but it was 2 feet long. It cost me a little more than half as much to make my Schwinn seatpost as Slowerriders gets, but it took a lot of fussing and is not as nice. I guess I am out of the seatpost fab business. I'm now sold on em with these testimonials from all the linebackers.

Latest posts

Back