AMERICAN PICKERS

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
missed Pickers :roll: but I like pawn stars ... love the one with the ejector seat, that still had the rockets attached in a house with some college guys :lol:

CCR said:
missed Pickers :roll: but I like pawn stars ... love the one with the ejector seat, that still had the rockets attached in a house with some college guys :lol:

Yeah...had to love the look on the guy's face when he found out that the seat was still functional and could have gone off...ha ha!

mastronaut said:
I 'd love to have that job! Endless supply of cash to just make people offers, is just what I need to get out and get some good junk. :shock:

The wife and I were saying the same thing last night.
The problem is I rarely sell any of my "collection" so maybe I'm becoming a hoarder, oh wait that's another show!

BTW, I did sign up and post on the 'Pickers' forum and posted basically the same thing I did earlier. Based on all the negative I'd read it really ought to shake things up over there.

drabe said:
I actually liked the show and I didn't feel they ripped the old guy off, they asked him what he wanted for it and he said 'a couple of hundred', so they gave him $200 for the sword.
If it were you would you give the guy $2,000 for a $2,000 sword? I guess if you were going to keep it forever, but I don't know too many people that wouldn't try to get it for less than what you know its worth.
The little motorcycle the old man said he wanted $50.00 for. If he said he wanted $400 for it (which is what they claimed it was worth), I'd bet it'd still be sitting there.

Also, as far as the sword goes, I'm not that I'm saying this but in today's world I can just hear people saying how disgusting it is that American soldiers took home swords from dead Japanese soldiers as souvenirs.

On the other hand look at it this way, maybe these old guys don't have any family and when they die all this 'junk' ends up in a landfill. Think of how many cool old bikes ended up in a scrap yard 'cause someone came along and just thought it was a junky old bike. Years ago a buddy of mine grabbed a '50s Monark (in garage kept, near perfect condition) years ago that he saw being put out for trash pickup by the family of the bikes owner.
At least these guys are out there trying to save some of this stuff. I saw plenty of stuff that the old guys said no to. They weren't beating anybody up and stealing their stuff!

I get your point. I don't enjoy paying top dollar for stuff. I just believe there are some people who have earned a certain degree of respect, and we all are obliged to look out for their interests better that that. This applies especially to elderly vets.

I didnt see the show but i did look at the previews, and the coments made by the people that saw the show. My take on the whole thing is i would not feel bad about some guy sellin a bike for 25 bucks that was worth 1000 im gonna make some money. Really how many people are going to stop by and ask how much money you want for it you make a price and the guy says oh man thats just not enough how about i give you more than what you are asking.

Another thing i dont understand is why there are som many reality shows on the HISTORY channel! I want to watch shows about historical events on the history channel, not some reality show about some hucksters or rednecks that some how managed to get a show!

im neutral on it. it was cool to see all the old jems the people had stashed away but at the same time i did feel bad for the money they got outta it. but i know it would just rotted away or got buried in a landfill.

The shows are fake and staged, How come you don't see them dig thru a pile and find a 1960's JC Higgans sprocket

Feralkid said:
Another thing i dont understand is why there are som many reality shows on the HISTORY channel! I want to watch shows about historical events on the history channel, not some reality show about some hucksters or rednecks that some how managed to get a show!
You are so right. Save the reality shows for MTV and Fox

Let's see if that show can do for the bicycle hobby what the Barrett-Jackson b.s. has done for the car hobby. It's amazing how people can't see the difference in the low miles,big block, four speed ,convertible on TV and the ragged, rusty, six cylinder , four door ,possible parts donor heap in their backyard. The $500.00 , at most , vehicle is for sale for $10,000.00 " cause one jus' like it sold on that there tv show for $30,000.00". I'll probably watch the pickers , but I'm a little dissappointed . I had been seeing the previews for two or three weeks before the first show , and looking forward to it. About the Pawn Stars show, in one of the early episodes , Rick bought a Coke machine. He took it to be restored and returned later to pick it up. If you catch the rerun , and it has been on several times already, look very closely at the quick shot of the restored machine. You have to watch closely, because they only show the complete machine for a second or two, but I don't think it's the same machine. The top was more rounded on the first machine that the "restored" box. Watch and see if you don't agree.Thanks.

I caught just a bit of this the other night. There's no such thing as reality shows IMHO. People know there on camera they act differently. I agree so much of these are staged. I thought I was going to like the Pawn Stars until one episode where it was ridiculously obvious it was staged. I went off on a tangent and swore I'd never watch it again.
Remember the very first show of Jesse James and even American Choppers where they were more documentary like?
Man I hate all the stupid drama. I just want to see people build stuff or do their jobs without all the hyped up drama.
I proudly say I've never watched a single episode of the "get off the island" show or the "big brother" or "lose weight" shows of those types.
I always bad mouth and refuse to watch these reality shows and my wife calls me a hypocrite because I watch the "chopper" show but I quit watching it years ago when it got so hokey.

mastronaut said:
Real life is waay more important than watching fatties lose weight. :lol:

HEY!......I resemble that remark!

mastronaut said:
It's bad enough that I spend too much time on the 'puter, I really don't want to get sucked into the TV thing...I'm a talk radio guy. Real life is waay more important than watching fatties lose weight. :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

i can relate a bit like when people come in with bikes to sell. i always start with "what do you want to sell it for?" if they tell me a price and it is fair we go from there or if it is high i try to get them down. There are some days when i can only offer so much because it is slow or if i have already bought a few. And i am straight up and will say "look if you sell it on craigslist or ebay you can get more for it." But most are just wanting to unload the stuff and dont want to hassle with it. However if someone brought in a phantom and wanted something like 60 bucks for it i would at least tell them it is worth more i have moral issues with that sort of thing. But if they say "i know i just want to get rid of it" then game on.

All these shows are staged. I've been to a few Clean House yard sales, and almost all of yard sale haggling is staged. It's usually filmed after the deal has already been made. The producers are walking around in the crowds, and if they think something looks like it would make good TV, you sign a release form ,and they give you a little direction on what to say when you are being filmed.

My fear is that beacuse of American Pickers, people will think their rusty old bikes are suddenly worth a mint and it's gonna be harder for us to get a good deal.

The 88 year old looked happy when they left. He had several hundred more than he had the day before. I still think they took advantage of him.

I'm almost afraid to watch the show, because I just know those sleaze bags are gonna come across something super special, like an old Cyclone or 1922 Indian board track racer and buy it for $150 and sell it for $75,000 in a couple of episodes.

I don't think I could handle that.

Latest posts

Back